Broody hen should i leave her?

Bird is the word

Songster
Sep 23, 2022
Bird world
One of my hens just got broody I have never had a broody hen and all eggs my chickens lay are not fertile should I just leave her be or is there is there a way to stop her from being broody? She is not aggressive though.

Often broody hens stay broody too long, and need to be stopped. You can break the broody cycle by isolating her in a wire bottom cage. For mine, 3 days and 3 nights usually works, sometimes 2 is enuf. If they go back to the nest, it’s back to the broody jail for another night. Then they go back to the flock as if nothing ever happened. 7E9FA05A-11DF-4BF7-B3F4-856D71A51FF8.jpeg

One of my hens just got broody I have never had a broody hen and all eggs my chickens lay are not fertile should I just leave her be or is there is there a way to stop her from being broody? She is not aggressive though.
I prefer to break them quickly if I'm not planning on using them to raise chicks.

That said, I have 2 Silkies who are ALWAYS broody. Like, perpetually. I find they take pretty good care of themselves, so I leave them be. But only these 2. I break any others asap.

Some broodies don't eat or drink enough. And broodies are susceptible to mites because they don't dust bathe enough, either. My Brahma was *tough* to break, and she got very skinny and unhealthy looking. I was very worried for her health.

Often broody hens stay broody too long, and need to be stopped. You can break the broody cycle by isolating her in a wire bottom cage. For mine, 3 days and 3 nights usually works, sometimes 2 is enuf. If they go back to the nest, it’s back to the broody jail for another night. Then they go back to the flock as if nothing ever happened.View attachment 3296700
Pretty hen!
:love

Often broody hens stay broody too long, and need to be stopped. You can break the broody cycle by isolating her in a wire bottom cage. For mine, 3 days and 3 nights usually works, sometimes 2 is enuf. If they go back to the nest, it’s back to the broody jail for another night. Then they go back to the flock as if nothing ever happened.View attachment 3296700
Ok thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom