Broody hen...should I let her?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Mouse has gone broody again... She ended up keeping a secret nest in the coop where I couldn't see it. It currently only has her eggs so I know that the other layers haven't figured out where they can lay.
Anyway, I'm curious if I should let her raise some chicks.

The reason I'm asking is, it's now fall so I'm a little worried about keeping HER dry and warm enough to keep any chicks warm. She's very stubborn and is always refusing to stay out of any rain we get so she always looks like she took a swim in a pool.

Mouse has gone broody again... She ended up keeping a secret nest in the coop where I couldn't see it. It currently only has her eggs so I know that the other layers haven't figured out where they can lay.

The reason I'm asking is, it's now fall so I'm a little worried about keeping HER dry and warm enough to keep any chicks warm. She's very stubborn and is always refusing to stay out of any rain we get so she always looks like she took a swim in a pool.
If your late fall/early winter doesn't get TOO cold, and you plan on keeping the chicks inside for the first few weeks, then I would say go for it. If you want some more chicks, and it's hard to break her broodiness, then do it! :)

let us know how it goes.
good luck ❤️ :)

I think you know the answer. ;)

Back
Top Bottom