Broody hen sitting for 6 days - can I give chicks?

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
I played a chick sound under her and she got very exited , started to peek under her and cluck. It’s only been 6 days, but I’m picking up 4 chicks Tommorow. She is 9 months old. I do have a “backup broody” who’s been sitting 7 days.

I would give it a go, but be ready to step in if/when needed.
Normally I would say wait at least 14 days, but all hens are different, and who knows, she might be the best mother ever.
I’ve had loads of broodys, but this is my second time giving chicks, from what I can tell I think she will accept them. If not, I’ll try my older broody who has hatched some 2 years ago. (4 yo. Now.)

I’ve had loads of broodys, but this is my second time giving chicks, from what I can tell I think she will accept them. If not, I’ll try my older broody who has hatched some 2 years ago. (4 yo. Now.)
She wasn’t very aggressive but I could tell she didn’t want them. She sort of pecked at them and didn’t want them under her. Not sure what to do now. Guess I’ll keep them or try again after she’s sat a few more days. (They hatched today, so if I give them to her in about 5 days will they be too big?) she’s a bantam, but the chicks are bantams too.

Back
Top Bottom