Broody hen sitting

Heaven 11

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
I don’t think my questions have been covered elsewhere - at least not specifically. I didn’t want to hijack someone else’s thread. Let me preface this by saying that I am a minimalist when it comes to caring for my two little flocks. I make sure they have shavings, food and water, but other than collecting eggs and giving them veggie scraps and meal worms most days, I am fairly hands off, although I do move the tractor every week or so when the grass is growing so they can enjoy new grass.

This particular flock one consists of two hens and a rooster. I noticed that one of the hens, Esther, is broody and has been sitting in one corner of the coop. I haven’t gotten around to adding my nesting box to this coop, so the two hens have just been laying their eggs in the coop. Esther has been sitting in a corner of the coop for 8 or 9 days now. Should I put something in the coop for her so that she has her own delineated space? I don’t really know how to keep her separated from the other hen, Cynthia, or my roo. I should add that I have an automatic Omlet door and they all three put themselves up every evening.

She’s been sitting for about a week. I originally thought that my other hen, Cynthia, had stopped laying because there haven’t been any eggs to gather since I first noticed Esther was broody, which was 8 days ago. After reading some other posts, I am pretty sure that Esther is moving any eggs that Cynthia has laid since she’s gone broody into her clutch. At this point, what, if anything, should I do about this? I’ve been checking daily but Esther is quick with the claiming of Cynthia’s eggs or Cynthia isn’t laying.

If/when any chicks hatch, how do I ensure they have food and water. I currently feed Flockraiser feed from a Grandpa’s feeder.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with two self filling cups. The water bucket is currently suspended and little chicks wouldn’t be able to reach the water cups. I can put rocks in the cups and put it on the ground so that the cups are reachable. Will this work?

Any suggestions of what I need to do are appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 587
Should I put something in the coop for her so that she has her own delineated space? I don’t really know how to keep her separated from the other hen, Cynthia, or my roo
There shouldn't be any need to separate her, almost all hens can manage to hatch out in a flock.
But you do need to mark her eggs, and then check every day for any new ones, and remove them.
She’s been sitting for about a week. I originally thought that my other hen, Cynthia, had stopped laying because there haven’t been any eggs to gather since I first noticed Esther was broody, which was 8 days ago. After reading some other posts, I am pretty sure that Esther is moving any eggs that Cynthia has laid since she’s gone broody into her clutch. At this point, what, if anything, should I do about this? I’ve been checking daily but Esther is quick with the claiming of Cynthia’s eggs or Cynthia isn’t laying.
Mark all the eggs that are under her, and remover new ones.
Now the tricky thing is, the first chick may hatch 8 days earlier then the last chick, and hens typically only sit for up to three days after the first chick hatches.
Do you have an incubator?

As far as water goes, can you get a waterer like this?
https://www.mattblatt.com.au/mb/buy...-chick-waterer-and-feeder-set-40648692498572/
(the one on the left, on the right is a feeder from the same company, also, I don't mean this particular make, just something like this)
If not, just any shallow dish, maybe with some pebbles if there is any risk of drowning.
Same with feed, just make sure there is some in a low dish they can get to. Flockraiser should be fine for them.

There shouldn't be any need to separate her, almost all hens can manage to hatch out in a flock.
But you do need to mark her eggs, and then check every day for any new ones, and remove them.

Now the tricky thing is, the first chick may hatch 8 days earlier then the last chick, and hens typically only sit for up to three days after the first chick hatches.
Tomorrow I will candle and mark them and begin removing unmarked ones daily. I do not have an incubator.

She was one mad mama as I took the eggs away from her last evening. I candled all 12 eggs and removed three. One was cracked and the other two did not appear to be fertilized. Of the remaining nine eggs, I could see different sized embryos that were clearly moving inside the egg. I put them back underneath the broody mama and plan to check her every day to make sure she hasn't added any more eggs. I do not have an incubator but my next door neighbor has one. I suppose that if I wait three days after the first chick hatches, then I can put any unhatched eggs in the incubator and hope they hatch as well.

Tomorrow I will candle and mark them and begin removing unmarked ones daily. I do not have an incubator.
Sounds good!
As you don't have an incubator, the only thing you can do is try to encourage her to keep sitting for as long as possible, until all the eggs have hatched.
One the first chick hatches, make sure there is food and water within easy reach, so she doesn't have to leave the nest to feed her chick.

I suppose that if I wait three days after the first chick hatches, then I can put any unhatched eggs in the incubator and hope they hatch as well.
The only thing with that plan, is most likely you will then be stuck with raising the chicks, as most mother hens won't take more new chicks after she has bonded with those she hatched.
If one wants her to raise all the chicks, what one can do is check her twice a day, and as soon as you see an egg starting to hatch, take it out and put it in an incubator in lookdown.
After it hatches, keep it in a brooder, and do this till al the chicks are in the brooder. Then, give them all back to the hen, and she should take to them all no problem.
Thats up to you, what you want to do.

Sounds good!
As you don't have an incubator, the only thing you can do is try to encourage her to keep sitting for as long as possible, until all the eggs have hatched.
One the first chick hatches, make sure there is food and water within easy reach, so she doesn't have to leave the nest to feed her chick.
"One the first chick hatches, make sure there is food and water within easy reach, so she doesn't have to leave the nest to feed her chick."

Is this food and water for the mama or for the babies? If it's for the chicks, should I put it in the coop with mama. Also, should I close the rooster/daddy and the other hen out of the coop for any length of time after the first chick hatches and I add the food and water? So much that I don't know. Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Is this food and water for the mama or for the babies? If it's for the chicks, should I put it in the coop with mama. Also, should I close the rooster/daddy and the other hen out of the coop for any length of time after the first chick hatches and I add the food and water? So much that I don't know. Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Both, although largely for the chicks, because even though they don't need to eat for the first 24 hours, many like to start nibbling on something.
Also, if the hen thinks her chicks are getting hungry, she will take them off the nest to find food.
While in the normal way that would be good, as you will be most likely having a staggered hatch you want to keep her sitting for a bit long, if possible.
So if you put it just within reach of her beak, that would work well. (once eggs start hatching)
One other thing, if you try to keep her sitting a bit longer. She can only hold her poop so long, so either just keep an eye on the nest and clean it up promptly if she makes a mess, or take her out for a short break before putting her back.

There shouldn't be much need to shut the others out, unless they are eating all her food, and generally getting in the way.
Just keep a bit of an eye on them, and be ready to step in if need be.

Back
Top Bottom