Broody Hen taking her sweet time outside

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
I have a Cochin who I noticed was going broody late last week. Sitting on anything that was laid and left out too long. So I’ve been letting her sit on about four fertile eggs for the past two days and I noticed her outside when I got home today. She stayed outside forever!!! 2 hours that I saw. I finally went outside and encouraged her to go back in and she did and went and sat back on the eggs. Are these eggs done for? It’s not incredibly hot where I am at all today.. is she just being lazy? 🤣

Is she on the nest most the day and all night?
Have you had a broody hen before?

My go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Is she on the nest most the day and all night?
Have you had a broody hen before?

My go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Yesterday was the first day I saw her get off in about 4-5 days. Of course, I can’t see in the coop at night but she’s there when I let them out in the morning. This is my first broody hen. Signs I’ve noticed are, staying in the coop almost all day, sitting on any eggs she can find in a “pancake” way, in a trance like state while she’s doing it, pecks madly at me when I mess with her, pale comb. Didn’t notice any clucking when I chased her back in yesterday but that was the first I had seen her off of it. I guess I will see how today goes.

Yesterday was the first day I saw her get off in about 4-5 days. Of course, I can’t see in the coop at night but she’s there when I let them out in the morning. This is my first broody hen. Signs I’ve noticed are, staying in the coop almost all day, sitting on any eggs she can find in a “pancake” way, in a trance like state while she’s doing it, pecks madly at me when I mess with her, pale comb. Didn’t notice any clucking when I chased her back in yesterday but that was the first I had seen her off of it. I guess I will see how today goes.
That sounds pretty broody.
You need to see what she's sitting on and mark them, remove any new eggs laid daily.

Back
Top Bottom