Broody hen with really low humidity?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I have a broody Cochin X seabright cross hen who has been for a while now. I don't know the exact day that she started because I didn't notice she went broody. So I've been checking her eggs once a week for the past two weeks to discard any damage or dead eggs. Today I noticed the the eggs where only half filled with fluid, you can see the movement of the chicks through the layer of skin. I thought hens control their own humidity? What did I do wrong and what could I do to assist? I do not have an incubator..

Hens usually do manage the humidity level, and that's typically one of the benefits of having a broody do the incubating. :)

At this point, there's not much you can do but trust that she knows what she's doing. If the eggs are nearly ready to hatch, the air cells should be pretty large, and perhaps that's what you're seeing now.

Best of luck!

Hens usually do manage the humidity level, and that's typically one of the benefits of having a broody do the incubating. :)

At this point, there's not much you can do but trust that she knows what she's doing. If the eggs are nearly ready to hatch, the air cells should be pretty large, and perhaps that's what you're seeing now.

Best of luck!
You were right! They hatched out this morning!!! Still trying to figure out why this little guy has scabbed ears

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_172603684.jpg
    IMG_20230611_172603684.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom