Broody Hen

MMF10

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I have an australorp hen that’s almost a year old who just started showing broodiness in the past couple days. Here are the options I may have…

- Her and the flock have only been exposed to a rooster for a few days. My understanding is that the eggs won’t be fertilized for 2 weeks. Do I wait the 2 weeks and then let her sit on some eggs or will that be waiting too long to start? (This would be my preference)

- I will be getting 6 chicks on 4/12. Should I wait and try to put them under her?

Or should I break the broody?

I would break her this time. Later on when she has fertile eggs let her sit. Sitting takes a lot out of a hen and it wont be good on her health if you try to keep it up till you get the chicks.

April 12 is only about 3 1/2 weeks away. If you let a broody sit for a few days to make sure she is broody before giving her eggs that's about how long she will sit when hatching so giving her chicks on that date is definitely an option.

If you wait for two weeks and then give her eggs she will have been sitting for five weeks by the time they hatch. That's a little riskier but if she's in good body condition to begin with and you make sure she is getting off the nest to eat and drink she should be fine. I gave one of my hens eggs about two weeks after she went broody last spring with no issues. I don't think I would let a broody sit longer than that however.

Back
Top Bottom