Broody Hen

flawedglitch

Chirping
Jun 7, 2022
Hey y’all!

I’ve got a very angry 10 m/o Speckled Sussex that is exhibiting some seriously broody behaviors (growling at me when I check the nesting boxes, puffing up, “pancaking”, and a naked brood patch).

Assuming she reliably sits for the ~21 days needed to hatch (we do have a handsome rooster who is pretty active with our girls), what should I absolutely know about the process?

She is currently sitting on 5 marked eggs, and has been practically uninterrupted for 3 days + 2 nights now. We have provided a closer source of water and feed (we use all flock raiser + optional oyster shell for our laying hens), and will be giving her protein treats (mealworms, scrambled eggs) throughout the process (assuming she eats them!).

We don’t have prior experience with broody hens nor natural incubation, so advice and “need to know” information is appreciated. We would prefer to allow the broody to stay in the coop and raise her chicks among the flock.

Eggs marked and started the same day is a good start. Watch to make sure she doesn't switch nests. Honestly from that point on a variety of ways are done based on set up and preferences. Remove added eggs daily and water and food should be far enough that she needs to get up. If the food and water are reachable from the nest the eggs get messy and may not hatch. She should do the rest. Keep an eye the first days after hatch. The mother will scuffle with other hens. Hopefully everyone will ignore the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom