Broody Silkie Being Bullied

kaylachenry

Hatching
May 11, 2020
Hi! I have done a lot of research on broody chickens (silkies) and I have not read much about them being bullied, yet when I started asking the questions, I am finding that this is common. I have a silkie that just started being broody for the first time. She has been sitting in the coop for 2 days on some eggs but has NOT been separated from the other chickens. They still sleep in there etc. Today I wanted to start trying to break her of being broody and I tried putting her out in the run with the others. One of our hens who has NEVER been aggressive toward her, started pecking her really badly and she replied but puffing up in a big ball, almost like she was still laying on an egg or something? Now I am hearing stories about how broody chickens will have to fully be reintegrated back into the group and that some never do and end up dying. Literally so caught off guard by this info. Does anyone have advice or experience on how best to handle this? Thank you!!

I am only 13 an have had bantam for 3 years, but when I separated my hens from the rest of the flock they no longer set on their eggs. So what I would do is mark the eggs she is setting on, so you will know what eggs not to get when you collect eggs. Can you post pictures of what she is setting in?

Back
Top Bottom