Broody Silkie Won’t Leave Nest

Sleek28

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
Hi y’all!
I️ have a broody Silkie that is on day 10 for 7 eggs and day 7 for 2 others. She has not left the nest at all for about 6 days now, but still looks healthy. Her day 10 eggs look like day 13 or 14 when I️ compare them to a candling chart. Is this because she won’t leave the nest, or does every egg look different when candling?
The daily temp has ranged from the 50’s to the 70’s in the last week and a half. The only reason she was off on day 4 was because I️ took her off.

Thanks!

She's very likely sneaking a quick break when you aren't looking. They will take a break once or twice a day to relieve themselves, grab a quick snack and drink. If she hadn't left the nest at all she would have pooped in it by now. There's no harm in taking her off the nest once a day if you are worried though.

21 days is only an average. Some eggs come earlier than that time frame, others take a little longer.

Good luck for a great hatch. Broodies are so cute with their babies. 🥰

She's very likely sneaking a quick break when you aren't looking. They will take a break once or twice a day to relieve themselves, grab a quick snack and drink. If she hadn't left the nest at all she would have pooped in it by now. There's no harm in taking her off the nest once a day if you are worried though.

21 days is only an average. Some eggs come earlier than that time frame, others take a little longer.

Good luck for a great hatch. Broodies are so cute with their babies. 🥰
I️ was curious about her getting off so I️ put a few pieces of string over the entrance. She has taken massive broody poops 3 time that I’ve had to clean up (smells like over flowing port-a-potty). I️ can’t through her out of the nest otherwise she doesn’t come back, she seems to forget about them and go back to the empty nesting boxes. I️ love it so much when Broodies Have little babies chasing them around. They seem to be x2 as cute as feed store chicks!

Back
Top Bottom