Broody switch out

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
Well we did it. I let broody#1 out with her 5 ten day old chicks. She showed them all around and everyone got alomg for the most part. She did have a dust up with one other hen but it was resolved quickly. Ru ( our rooster... Yes named after RuPaul 😆) came over and refereed.

She took them into the main coop at night which was ideal because i have broody#2 on 3 eggs with a hatch date of the 18th . I need to move her into the brooder coop today.

I have a coworker who is preparing to take 3 pullets and 1 cockrel. I believe of the 5 currently running around 3 are pullets and 2 are cockrels.

I attempted to determine this by markings...but then now that they are feathering out, 3 are much further along with tail and wing feathers and 2 have barely any wing feathers and no tail feathers.

Females feather quicker right? Cuz by the markings ( eyeliner and head triangles as they are welsummers) i had one of the feathered ones pegged as male and one of the laggers a pullet.

I should be able to tell for sure by the time they are ready to goto their new home as our Ru got his comb and wattles way before our hens.

Back
Top Bottom