Broody without a male

Hi!
Will a female Muscovy duck go broody without a male? I know they lay eggs with or without a male, but what about broodiness?
I believe they absolutely can go broody without a male. I've even heard of them going broody without eggs- just sitting on air!
Of course, even if they do go broody, without a male to fertilise her eggs, they won't hatch.

Not so much with my ducks, but several of my chickens -- who aren't in contact with the roosters -- often go broody and sit on fake eggs or no eggs. Some breeds just seem hardwired for potential motherhood.

Thank you all! Im asking because I've got two Muscovy ducklings that were vent-sexed. One female, one male. I don't want them to breed for two reasons -
1. It can be assumed that they are siblings. Got them together from a breeder. They look the same, same colors. Seem to be siblings. And siblings breefing is never a good idea... Correct me if im wrong...
2. I think the the ratio of 1 female to 1 male is not a good idea.

I thought of giving back the male to the person who gave them to me (of course, after they grow up together a bit). And leave the female. I have many chickens in the yard so she won't feel lonely (will she?) . But I assume that one day she'll want to be a mother - which cannot happen without a male...
Any advice?? Thank you all

Thank you all! Im asking because I've got two Muscovy ducklings that were vent-sexed. One female, one male. I don't want them to breed for two reasons -
1. It can be assumed that they are siblings. Got them together from a breeder. They look the same, same colors. Seem to be siblings. And siblings breefing is never a good idea... Correct me if im wrong...
2. I think the the ratio of 1 female to 1 male is not a good idea.

I thought of giving back the male to the person who gave them to me (of course, after they grow up together a bit). And leave the female. I have many chickens in the yard so she won't feel lonely (will she?) . But I assume that one day she'll want to be a mother - which cannot happen without a male...
Any advice?? Thank you all
Chickens are not suitable long term companionship for muscovies. They dont speak the same language, they dont enjoy the same things. I would simply get a couple more girls, if it was me, to get them to a better ratio. Or rehome the drake and get another hen or two so your girl isnt alone. You don't have to let them brood, you can simply remove the eggs so that she cant brood them

Back
Top Bottom