Broody

Merandajs

Hatching
Apr 26, 2023
My buff has been brooding for almost 3 weeks. We’ve blocked access to boxes but she just finds another place, even on the ground. We take her out several times a day. We blocked access to her coop for several hours but the second we open it, she’s back at it. She’s getting skinny so I’m concerned. I’ve been advised to put eggs under her then get a couple of live chicks and swap them out. Should I do that? Any other suggestions?

My buff has been brooding for almost 3 weeks. We’ve blocked access to boxes but she just finds another place, even on the ground. We take her out several times a day. We blocked access to her coop for several hours but the second we open it, she’s back at it. She’s getting skinny so I’m concerned. I’ve been advised to put eggs under her then get a couple of live chicks and swap them out. Should I do that? Any other suggestions?
You can put chicks under her. You don't need eggs first, just tuck them under at night.

How high is her nesting box? You want to make sure the chicks don't get hurt falling out if it is really high. They also may need food and water, but she won't leave the nest with them from instincts, so you will want to make sure the chicks can eat and drink those first few days. I usually put a tiny jar of food and water each in corner of the box and check often.

She might raise the chicks and then go right back to brooding, so you might need to employ the broody breaker box is the future still. Let me see if there is an article about that.

Right now, take her from her nest and park her in front of the food and water at least twice a day, that should help.

To break the broody cycle, put the hen in a wire bottom cage so that air can circulate under her. It is best done at the first sign of unwanted broodiness, and in that case, usually breaks the spell in 2 or 3 days (+nights). However, yours would take longer, as you have allowed it to go on so long.
Giving her some day old chicks might be a preferable cure. But don’t give her eggs and subject her to another 3 weeks… IMG_2537.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom