Broody?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
For the last week or so one of my BA's has been acting weird. Not in the nesting box but sticking close to the coop, hissing and puffing up if I try to touch her.

The boy she raised died last week and I thought she might be grieving. She won't go anywhere near the other young cockerel.

She has been very interested in the chicks i put outside this week. I took one out to meet her last week and she watched it.

I hope she's broody.

Sounds like she's very close, to me. Sometimes they seem to get most of the way there but then take their time about actually sitting down on the eggs. Is she still laying/building a clutch, perhaps?

She's still laying. She went broody last year, I think in November? She was one who stole all the fake eggs for her clutch. 🙃 She was a good Mom.

I have eggs for her when she decides to sit.

If she puffs up and kinda spreads out her wings a bit and clucks, then she is definitely broody!
She probably is grieving, poor thing, but that's great that you gave her some more chicks for her to take care of.

I really want to find a hen who will adopt other chicks. She has always been interested in chicks, even when she's not broody.

Back
Top Bottom