Brought home 4.5 month barred rocks

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
So these girls are really cute and so so so soft! I brought them home from a well-to-do family who was looking out for their flock of 4. They knew they didn’t have the space, originally thinking these girls were bantam, but when they saw they kept growing, they were trying to rehome. Anyways, I have them in a smaller run attached to my large run. My original 3 don’t seem bothered by them.
For the evening, I completely covered the run with tarp and moved the smaller run into my large run. In the morning I’ll put them back outside the larger run.
When can I put them inside the larger run during the day?
Also, I’m feeding Kalmbach 20% protein flock maker to my Original 3, can I give the new girls the same? Old flock is 2.5 months old, and I think the new girls should start laying soon. Do they need anything different?

Your feed plus oyster shell on the side for calcium. I would keep them quarantined for at least a week and then slowly integrate by allowing them to free range together. If no blood after a few days let them intermingle together in the same run and coop until your confident they can be safe together overnight together. The first few overnighters I would let them out at first light just to be safe no bullying is happening.

Back
Top Bottom