Budget Basement Duck Coop

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
Just an FYI to share for anyone else pondering a coop in the basement. This is just their night-time/winter snowstorm quarters. (its in the scooped, letting the floor dry stage atm.)

Notes:
I highly recommend Dollar Tree dishpans for watering bowls. They are big enough for full bill dunking but too small for the ducks to swim in.
Due to an agressive drake and broody hen I have in essence 2 flocks. the middle divider lets them feel separate but they still have room to roam (or run).
The poultry netting is a bit short and the ducks can fly over it.
They can push over the PVC fences so there are some anchor points to the ceiling.
Dollar Tree cat litter pan for the nestbox being used by the broody duck.
Pine needles for the nest material (Its what they were choosing outside.) Keeps the eggs sparkling clean.

Attachments

• 20210718_100036.jpg
    20210718_100036.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210718_100047.jpg
    20210718_100047.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210718_100135.jpg
    20210718_100135.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210718_100154 (2).jpg
    20210718_100154 (2).jpg
    673 KB · Views: 19
I like your plan! We have a walkout unfinished basement and are considering the same. How has the upkeep been? Thinking we will put down a rubber horse mat or something. My biggest concern is damaging the floors/walls. Ours is heated and i also wonder if that would impact the ducks cold hardiness.

I switched out the PVC fencing for plastic dog playpen fencing. Its more durable, easier to re-configure and move, and easier to clean, and slightly taller. Doing it again, I'd go straight to that instead of the PVC.

I thought of stall mats but they are heavy, expensive, and I read somewhere of bored birds gnawing on the joints. The shavings get cleaned out daily with a manure shovel and swept. Then SweetPDZ on top to absorb odors. Heavy clean is a mop and floor steamer for sterilization. Hydrogen peroxide for deeper stains. My house is from 1940 so the floor and walls are already worn.

I tested puppy pee blankets and they ended up being more work to wash than shavings. although they would protect the floor. If you have 4 ducks it might work, 8 just made them a poopy mess and they shortly retained odors.

Due to exposed pipes my basement is heated as well. The birds are fine outside until about 20f when they hunker down. I had to move my flock this year into an unheated garage space and they seem more active down to about 15f.

BIG pluses are winter cleaning in a heated room and a working water faucet. BIG minus, pine shavings dust gets -everywhere-. For long term I'd install screen walls to help keep the dust in the coop area. Also flies love the dark shade and mice will run inside, both of which might migrate into the house proper.

Thanks @telandra2 ! I think we are going to try this, we tried herding them into the basement but didnt really have it set up right and they freaked out, but we are going to work on the setup and give it another try! They have about 8-9 sq feet for two of them in their outside hut. And im not worried about their warmth out there, but they used to go to bed no problem-- with the longer nights now theyve been resisting and im afraid they hate being cooped up for so long in a smallish space.

Also @Miss Lydia thanks for helping out on alerting, im a newbie, still learning, appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom