Budget, eight-foot electric fence setup recommendations?

thewhimsicalflock

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
Hello.
We recently lost two of our flock to a bobcat. I'm planning on creating a fenced in area of our backyard with an electric fence so that my girls can still roam. We're going to do what we did with our goats, but eight feet of fence instead of four, and it will be electrified.

We are going for broke these days so I'd like to do this in the least expensive way that is still safe for my girls. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. FTR we know how to install the actual fence but have little knowledge of the electric part (EG can we buy normal wire fencing and electrify it?). TIA!

We had researched electric fences a lot a few years ago for our bee hives.

You can electrify some wire but when we looked into it, we got dissuaded as it takes a particular wire and particular juice to do it. In some states, it's illegal to electrify barbed wire.

If buying a new one, a lot depends on the length of your fence so have an approximate length. You could make your fence 8' tall, but I wouldn't electrify it that high. Here are the suggestions of the company brand we got but this is just a guideline for keeping animals IN. Electric fence height.

We wound up purchasing a solar electric fence for the hives from Home Depot. Check farm stores too. This one worked great. The area we did for the hives was 15' x 20'.

When I was young we went to Barnum and Baily Circus. When the tigers were in the circle they had rope fencing around it. When the leopards came out they increased the height of the fence and also had rows of the fence that leaned in toward the middle.

If you put up a wire fence then added three rows of wire above that, but that hung out, each wire higher than the one before it, the cat will try to jump the fence but will hit the extended wires. You may not need electricity.

We had researched electric fences a lot a few years ago for our bee hives.

You can electrify some wire but when we looked into it, we got dissuaded as it takes a particular wire and particular juice to do it. In some states, it's illegal to electrify barbed wire.

If buying a new one, a lot depends on the length of your fence so have an approximate length. You could make your fence 8' tall, but I wouldn't electrify it that high. Here are the suggestions of the company brand we got but this is just a guideline for keeping animals IN. Electric fence height.

We wound up purchasing a solar electric fence for the hives from Home Depot. Check farm stores too. This one worked great. The area we did for the hives was 15' x 20'.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom