Buff Orpington crosses

ManedWolf

Chirping
Jan 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
I have a few Buff Orpington cross ideas but I'm not sure what they'd look like. Right now I have a Buff Orpington rooster, Dexter, and I plan on breeding him again this spring.
Last year I bred him with my RIR/New Hampshire Red cross hens so I got a BO/RIR/NHR red mix hens, who are very pretty! They show traits of all the breeds (Mostly large Orpington frame and proficient egg laying of the Reds).
This year I plan to breed him to my Easter Egger hen and my White Cochin hen, I assume I'll get Buff Orpington looking chickens with muffs and/or a beard (BO/EE) and a Buff colored Cochin mix (BO/WC).
I am considered buying some more Orpington chicks this spring as well, in hopes to breed them to Dexter next year. So my questions are: What will a Buff Orpinton/Chocolate Oprington look like? What will a Buff Orpington/Blue Orpington look like?
I'm not done there, I have always wanted Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, what would the offspring of BLRD hen and a Buff Orpington rooster look like?
We all know chicks are hard to come by these days, so I'm not entirely sure I'll even get the breeds I want.

Feel free to post pictures if you've mixed these breeds before!

I have a few Buff Orpington cross ideas but I'm not sure what they'd look like. Right now I have a Buff Orpington rooster, Dexter, and I plan on breeding him again this spring.
Last year I bred him with my RIR/New Hampshire Red cross hens so I got a BO/RIR/NHR red mix hens, who are very pretty! They show traits of all the breeds (Mostly large Orpington frame and proficient egg laying of the Reds).
This year I plan to breed him to my Easter Egger hen and my White Cochin hen, I assume I'll get Buff Orpington looking chickens with muffs and/or a beard (BO/EE) and a Buff colored Cochin mix (BO/WC).
I am considered buying some more Orpington chicks this spring as well, in hopes to breed them to Dexter next year. So my questions are: What will a Buff Orpinton/Chocolate Oprington look like? What will a Buff Orpington/Blue Orpington look like?
I'm not done there, I have always wanted Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, what would the offspring of BLRD hen and a Buff Orpington rooster look like?
We all know chicks are hard to come by these days, so I'm not entirely sure I'll even get the breeds I want.

Feel free to post pictures if you've mixed these breeds before!
That sounds awesome! Unfortunately I have no clue since I’ve never bred chickens before but if you do please post pictures of the birds! Id love to see what that mix is like!

What will a Buff Orpinton/Chocolate Oprington look like?
If the Buff is the father, all chicks will have a lot of black, with some gold leakage. The birds will probably have the most black near the tail, and the most gold near the head & chest areas.

There is a chance that some may have silver leakage instead of the gold/buff leakage. If the mother is Chocolate and the father is Buff, then any with silver leakage will be males.

What will a Buff Orpington/Blue Orpington look like?
Half the chicks will be like the black ones described above.
The other half will be blue instead.
They will all have some leakage, either gold or silver.

If the mother is Blue and the father is Buff, then any with silver leakage will be males.

Lots of red or gold on every chick. Half of chicks will have some black, that will probably not look like proper lacing but will have bits spread here and there on the bird. The other half will have blue instead of the black.

If the Wyandotte has a rose comb, you can expect to see rose combs on half or all of the chicks. If the Wyandotte has a single comb, then all chicks will also have single combs. (Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but single combs pop up regularly from rose comb parents, due to which genes are dominant and which are recessive.)

They should look something like these two

Attachments

• 3F196874-BACF-42B2-9EA3-9EA32A05412B.jpeg
    3F196874-BACF-42B2-9EA3-9EA32A05412B.jpeg
    748.8 KB · Views: 65
  • F45D9586-28E0-475D-A52F-7E0837FF9E02.jpeg
    F45D9586-28E0-475D-A52F-7E0837FF9E02.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 64

Back
Top Bottom