Buff orpington poop caked on butt

Hi everyone, my BO hen always has a poppy but. She is healthy but the poop over time sticks to her vent feathers and hardens. I try pulling it out with a glove buts its hard and caked. If I were to just cut the feathers that were caked in poop, would that hurt her? I wasn't sure if its unsafe to cut the butt feathers. Thank you

I have an older BO too and she gets the poopy butt too. I tried to loosen it with a glove and wet paper towel but it was too stuck. I too was nervous about trimming feathers. So I caved and gave her a butt bath on a hot day. Seems to have reset her and she's stayed clean since then!

I have an older BO too and she gets the poopy butt too. I tried to loosen it with a glove and wet paper towel but it was too stuck. I too was nervous about trimming feathers. So I caved and gave her a butt bath on a hot day. Seems to have reset her and she's stayed clean since then!
Hi. I have a BO, too, with a huge ball of poop stuck under her vent, very close to her skin. Any advice on best way to give a butt bath? She's pretty calm and loves to sit on our laps, but not sure she'll be so complacent with water involved. Thanks!

I have a English BO her butt gets terrible poo stuck and hanging off I have to regularly bathe her when warm enough and give her a trim only cutting.the bits of poo off the difference in her afterwards is phenmomnal x

If it's warm or hot outside, cradle the hen in your forearm and use the sprayer on a garden hose full blast on their dirty butts. Bye bye stuck poop and then release the bird. Next?

Hi. I have a BO, too, with a huge ball of poop stuck under her vent, very close to her skin. Any advice on best way to give a butt bath? She's pretty calm and loves to sit on our laps, but not sure she'll be so complacent with water involved. Thanks!
Update: I found another thread from a few days ago with similar advice and a few people talked about using the kitchen sink with sprayer (I can't go there) BUT I have a utility sink with sprayer and that worked GREAT! We also have a Rhode Island Red who is NOT warm and fuzzy and is quick to out-maneuver us if we try to catch her. So, I caught her, put her face forward in a box (think horse blinders) to keep her calm and limit the escape plotting and it worked like a charm. She stayed calm and still while we sprayed her poopy bits off with the garden hose outside.

Back
Top Bottom