buff possible egg bound?

ctjim

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
lebanon,ct
i found one of my buff sitting in the bushes where she likes to lay her eggs sometimes. this was in the dark after i got home. when i went out to get her and put her back in the coop i noticed clear runny poo on her butt as well as her butt swollen and trying to lay be nothing coming out. what could possibly be wrong i thought egg bound? and if so how can we help her out?thanks jim

You can bring her in and put her in a warm bath...That will help relax her muscles. Make sure she's completely dry before you put her outside. When Obelisk was eggbound, I did the warm bath and massaged her belly from front to back...and she eventually passed the egg. Usually it's from a softshelled egg that they're having trouble with.

now i'm not sure shes egg bound? shes in a nest box now breathing a bit heavy and her back side is very runny w/ clearish mustardy poo. and her vent area seems swollen and red. she was fine this morning and has been fine for a long time previously. i would hate to lose her, as shes a nice bird.

well i went out to the coop to check her 1 last time b4 going for the warm bath/massage her backside and she had passed the hold up. it was a bit strange though she had a "soft shell" egg which i believe was the stuck egg followed by a normal egg which was covered in thick clear substance. not sure what that was all about but she was up and about so i put her up on her roost w/ the others and they settled in for the night. tomorrow i will try and give her a bath. what would cause her to have that issue, possibly too many treats? there's lots of goodies in the yard for them this time of year, and they free range. maybe they need some more protein? i feed them purina layena. atleast now i will sleep ok knowing shes ok.

This is just a natural thing that happens sometimes with egg laying....some hens just get this way from time to time..it takes 25 or so hours to form an egg so she was just backed up with the first soft one....try giving her and your flock some black oiled sunflower seeds ..just throw them into them..shell and all...its like a lubricant and helps them pass the eggs......also keep a dish of oyster shell available at all times...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom