Building a coop/run for blind chicken

CrazyBirdLadyUSA

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
I have a chicken that recently went blind and is still recuperating inside my house. I want to eventually put her back outdoors but want to keep her separated from my current flock. (They pecked her eyes out from bullying)

I’m wondering what considerations I might make to her pen and coop that might be good for a special needs chicken that is blind?

Things like should there be a roost in the coop? Where should food and water be? Etc anything would be super helpful!

Try to keep all of her food and water close to each other. Don’t change up anything in her new coop/run after you put her in there. Chickens are extremely smart and can remember where things are even if they can’t see. As long as she knows where things are in the run and can get back to those places, she should be good. I would say have the coop be close if not on the ground so she can easily get in. The roost bars should also be very low so she doesn’t have to jump very far. I would also suggest getting her a friend that can keep her company as chickens are social animals. Possibly a silkie or another special needs chicken.

Your hen is such a strong little bird, I hope she makes an amazing recovery.

Try to keep all of her food and water close to each other. Don’t change up anything in her new coop/run after you put her in there. Chickens are extremely smart and can remember where things are even if they can’t see. As long as she knows where things are in the run and can get back to those places, she should be good. I would say have the coop be close if not on the ground so she can easily get in. The roost bars should also be very low so she doesn’t have to jump very far. I would also suggest getting her a friend that can keep her company as chickens are social animals. Possibly a silkie or another special needs chicken.

Your hen is such a strong little bird, I hope she makes an amazing recovery.
I LOVE the idea of getting her a silkie! We live in a cold climate in the winter (NYC) so I need to see if silkies can handle that though.

A lot of things you said I was thinking also so I’m glad to hear you validate that!

Make the floor different. In the run have an area of dirt and an area of concrete, or just something different. The coop should have a third type of floor, straw or shavings or what have you. Should she get confused she will know where she is by what surface she is standing on.

Back
Top Bottom