Building Coop tomorrow - Nesting Box Q

LVB

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2023
Hello! My plan has been to build the coop modifying the "8 chickens" coop built by Third Coast Craftsman (bought his plans) to a "34 chickens" coop by enlarging it to 16' x 8' -- his 12" nesting boxes are along the 16' side. Mine will be 128 sq ft indoors with the hardwire-covered metal roof run of 320 sq ft.
Among my growing chicks in my pop-up-tent brooder are 10 of the largest breeds: 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Australorps, 4 Cochins and 4 Brahmas. Would you recommend 12x15 boxes for the big girls? Or is 14x14 or 15x15 necessary? The 4.5 lb Polish and 4 lb Easter Eggers could have some 12x12 boxes? Yes, I know, they will go into whichever nest they prefer! So make all nesting boxes the larger size for everyone?
Thank you for your advice!

"34 chickens" coop by enlarging it to 16' x 8'
I think that might will get crowded.

My nests are 14 x 14 x 16,
details here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/nests.7427682/
full

Aart, I was hoping to hear from you, but am so new to the board that I don't know how to message you yet. We built a very sturdy floor yesterday and per your advice are extending today, also making larger nesting boxes. Sure do appreciate your help. I understand it's ridiculous getting so many chicks my first time, but this is my after-my-husband-died project to keep me busy now that he no longer needs 24/7 care. My WWII Dad always said, "If you're going to do something, do it right or not at all!" I thank you and my chicks thank you.

Back
Top Bottom