Building my run; what’s the best Sand Method?

SuperC

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
Hi all! I’m going to be a new chicken mama next week🙌🏻, and while they will be in the brooder for 2 months, I’m half way thru building a coop and will start the run in a few weeks. My plan is to put down sand for the run, but I don’t see a lot of info on “best practices” for this method.
My questions are: “how deep should the sand be to start?”, and “what is the BEST sand to use (what’s it called since I hear various types banded about) and where to get it (Home Depot?” I can’t have it delivered to the coop area and don’t have a truck to have a load put in my trunk). I also wonder if I should leave an area (directly under the coop) to maybe mix dirt and sand for a more “dusty” dust bath than just gravel/sand?

A bit about the coop/run location. I live in SE TN and we get a decent amount of rain all year (2-5+ inches every month) I will be putting the run on an area of partially shaded yard that used to be grass, but is now hard packed mud/dirt depending on the weather (we had an above ground pool there for 2 years so the weeds/grass haven’t come back yet). There is also some crushed granite bits and rocks pressed into the dirt as well from previous owners. I am planning on a fully secure run with 12-18 inches of hardware cloth as an apron running outwards and staked down and then covered with some pavers to prevent predators from digging under. I plan on using 4-6” planks at the bottom edge on the inside to hold my “run material” in place so it doesn’t wash away in the rain (& at times, very heavy rain). Since we live in TN, we get a decent amount of rain and I want the sand so that the rain drains off the run and doesn’t turn it all to a thick mud puddle like just dirt or wood chips alone would be.

I have heard that sand is also the easiest to keep raked/clean, but I’m curious to what y’all advise. I have access to wood chips, leaves, endless grass clippings (I’m on 4 acres I have to keep mowed) and am open to suggestions. The interior of the coop will be a deep litter method with hemp litter (since we use that inside with our Guinea pig and love it). I would also love to hear your opinions on the hardware cloth protection method. I plan on running it along the ground outside the coop (it will be attached to the outside walls of the run) and will stake it down with 12 inch Ustakes and put pavers on top. But I’ve had some people tell me I should dig a trench and bury it vertically, not run it horizontally. Personally, I feel a 12-18 inch wide skirt should be fine/safe, but I don’t know for sure. Your thoughts? We have mostly air based predators (hawks, eagles) and the land based ones are mainly racoon, opossum, skunk and occasiaonal coyotes- but I feel a 18inch wide barrier would deter digging, but maybe I’m wrong?

Any and all advice appreciated and I’m going to post photos /build videos of it here when I’m all done!

Last edited:
I don’t see a lot of info on “best practices” for this method.
Some people love sand, some people hate it. That is based in their experiences with it. good or bad. Sand is porous and will allow water to drain away if the water has somewhere to go. Clay is non-porous and will hold water. If you dig a hole in clay and fill it with sand, the water cannot drain away so it will stay wet. I don't know what your area looks like so I have no idea how your area will drain if you put sand in it. If your native soil is mostly sand it may drain well.

Another issue is that chickens poop. Wherever they are they are going to poop. If you have a large area it may be spread out enough that it is not a problem, but if you have limited space it may build up enough to cause issues. You may need to remove poop regularly to keep it from building up enough to be an issue.

what is the BEST sand to use
My preference is a coarse sand like construction sand. I don't care for really fine sand like "play sand". That's probably more personal preference than anything else.

I am planning on a fully secure run with 12-18 inches of hardware cloth as an apron running outwards and staked down and then covered with some pavers to prevent predators from digging under.
I personally bury my apron under about 2" of dirt so it is out of the way of lawn mowers and weed eaters.. It is horizontal about 18" wide. A critter comes along, goes up to the fence, starts digging, hits the wire, and cannot get through. I've had a few try, probably coyote or raccoon, but none have succeeded yet.

I have heard that sand is also the easiest to keep raked/clean, but I’m curious to what y’all advise. I have access to wood chips, leaves, endless grass clippings (I’m on 4 acres I have to keep mowed) and am open to suggestions.
People do all kinds of things and, of course, whatever they do is "best" as far as they are concerned. If you have pure sand you probably need to regularly scoop the poop to keep it from building up. Some people turn their run into a compost pile (deep litter method here too). If water stands you are probably going to have problems unless you work hard. If you can keep it fairly dry many methods work well.

Some people love sand, some people hate it. That is based in their experiences with it. good or bad. Sand is porous and will allow water to drain away if the water has somewhere to go. Clay is non-porous and will hold water. If you dig a hole in clay and fill it with sand, the water cannot drain away so it will stay wet. I don't know what your area looks like so I have no idea how your area will drain if you put sand in it. If your native soil is mostly sand it may drain well.

Another issue is that chickens poop. Wherever they are they are going to poop. If you have a large area it may be spread out enough that it is not a problem, but if you have limited space it may build up enough to cause issues. You may need to remove poop regularly to keep it from building up enough to be an issue.

My preference is a coarse sand like construction sand. I don't care for really fine sand like "play sand". That's probably more personal preference than anything else.

I personally bury my apron under about 2" of dirt so it is out of the way of lawn mowers and weed eaters.. It is horizontal about 18" wide. A critter comes along, goes up to the fence, starts digging, hits the wire, and cannot get through. I've had a few try, probably coyote or raccoon, but none have succeeded yet.

People do all kinds of things and, of course, whatever they do is "best" as far as they are concerned. If you have pure sand you probably need to regularly scoop the poop to keep it from building up. Some people turn their run into a compost pile (deep litter method here too). If water stands you are probably going to have problems unless you work hard. If you can keep it fairly dry many methods work well.
Thank you! You have given a lot to contemplate. I’m not sure of the exact soil type since I use raised beds. But it isn’t pure clay but it stays soft and wet and firm mud when wet. I’ll have to keep planning. But I appreciate your tips- Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom