Built my coop/run and I'm so proud!

I also, at some point when I have some more funds, plan to cage the entire thing into a larger run area.

I also, at some point when I have some more funds, plan to cage the entire thing into a larger run area.
Definitely do that. And please be open minded to the feedback on here. When I started 10 years ago I turned a dog house into a coop for 6. It had around the same size as yours and I attached a very small "run." It was just fine for night time lock up, but it sounds like you're not letting then out during the day? Or are you? You'd really have to, 6 can't be happy in that limited space 24/7. I took a little heat on here about ventilation but it did have good ventilation. I think some didn't realize that mine were roaming a fenced 2acres all day... Anyhow, good luck :)

Definitely do that. And please be open minded to the feedback on here. When I started 10 years ago I turned a dog house into a coop for 6. It had around the same size as yours and I attached a very small "run." It was just fine for night time lock up, but it sounds like you're not letting then out during the day? Or are you? You'd really have to, 6 can't be happy in that limited space 24/7. I took a little heat on here about ventilation but it did have good ventilation. I think some didn't realize that mine were roaming a fenced 2acres all day... Anyhow, good luck :)
Oh, absolutely. They will free range for most of the day, at least until I get the big run built. I don't like the idea of chickens not being able to free range, so it didn't even occur to me to mention. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom