Bully Chick!

funkdog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
I've got 5 new banty chicks about a week old: 2 Polish, 2 Black Silkies, 1 Mille Fleu. One of the Polish is a big bully and constantly pecks at the others--is this normal? Maybe a roo or an overly aggressive gal trying to assert her top status even this early??? Or is this going to be a problem chick that will continue to bully all her pals? I know no one has the answer but was hoping for some sage advice--I do have the opportunity to trade this chick in bc I also have an order of standards coming in on Wed (local feed store). Should I wait and see if the chick stops the pecking (I even caught it with feathers from the silkie in its beak) or be preventive and go ahead and trade this lil guy? I am a newbie and don't know if this bullying is normal or a problem waiting to happen!

Thanks everyone for such a great community--I swear I dont' know what we newbies would do without this forum!!

We had a bully chick, too.
I would get so mad at her always running around pecking at everyone's eyes.
We named her Cull.
She's the first to try new things.
When she discovered the perch, she made many attempts to jump up there until she finally accomplished her goal.

Now, a week later, she's fine.
A little sweetheart.
She still has to be the first to try everything, but she no longer pecks at the other chicks.

smile.png

Last edited:
So the moral of the story is not to be too quick to judge feisty fuzzy butts--I am hoping that her (I hope) assertiveness is a part of the natural pecking order and not a chicken serial killer in the making...
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom