Bullying

lwakes

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I have a sweet girl that is being bullied. I have 10 other chickens, all red sexlink. One day in the beginning of the month I noticed one of them had an injured bloodied comb and then realized that the other seemed to be picking on her before I noticed the blood. I quickly separated her, cleaned up a small injury to her comb, which has since mostly healed. I have had her in the coop and run in a cage so that they can all see her and be around her. I used blukote and her comb is now a purple blue color. I had her out with everyone this morning and it was going well for about 10 minutes until one zoned in on her head and attacked. Another two joined in and started after her. I was right there monitoring the situation and was able to quickly pick her up. She seems to be good otherwise, eating, drinking, doing all her chicken things and I can tell she wants to be reunited with everyone. She is 1 of 4 of my older hens (about 3/4) and the other 7 are almost a year old. I'm not sure what else to do....

I’ve tried removing aggressors, removing her. The see but can’t touch her type of thing, free range together…one of the younger flock goes after her and then the rest of the younger ones jump in. I’ve been at this for over a week and am not making any progress. I don’t understand why they are being so aggressive toward her. If one of her older sisters go after her she fights back and puts them In their place but she cowers to the younger ones..

We had the situation of 4 aggressive Brahma hens & 1 gentle Barred Rock hen. We couldnt tell who was most agresssive in the bullying. Our sweet hen had serious PTSD and loss of feathers.
A Bobcat killed 1 Brahma. Then 3 bullies continued to bully.

a neighbor offered to take the 3 who has a flock. Off they went!

Our sweety grew her feathers back with serious protein uptake (Friskies fish in gravy - looks like worms) , was no longer shell shocked, but got lonely.
We bought her a young Rooster (Barred rick also!) off of craigslist. They are inseparable friends now.
Peace & serenity. Small flock of 2

Back
Top Bottom