Bumblefoot or???

Hennypenny_10

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
Hi all,
I got 3 silkie hens about 6 weeks ago from a local farmer. They are approximately ten months old. Since I’ve owned them, they refuse to come down the little ramp in their coop and basically hide all day long from people and my other hens. I previously tried to slowly integrate them to my flock but it didn’t go well as they were too frightened so I got them their own coop. Now that I am able to handle one of them a bit, I noticed that their feet look different than any other chickens I’ve seen, and I’m wondering if they’re in pain or maybe unable to use the ramp to get in and out of their coop into the run? It looks as though some toenails are actually missing and others are growing upside down? Any help on this would be great!

Attachments

• 75BF07E3-5179-4AA6-BB5B-C1DF1ECD7122.jpeg
    75BF07E3-5179-4AA6-BB5B-C1DF1ECD7122.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 33644E5E-002B-48BF-B3E1-A69CF6CAE9B7.jpeg
    33644E5E-002B-48BF-B3E1-A69CF6CAE9B7.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 15F587E3-096F-411C-83E4-D729262A173F.jpeg
    15F587E3-096F-411C-83E4-D729262A173F.jpeg
    667.8 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much for the reply, I’ve been googling to no avail. My poor girls, I will get all the supplies and treat them tomorrow.
Just work on them, it's going to take a while to resolve this and get their feet in fairly good shape.

You have them housed separately, so that's good. You mentioned they won't navigate their ramp. The feet may be a bit painful or it could be the ramp is a little too steep for them. I've never had Silkies, but from what I have gathered from reading, sometimes they may require a little more special handling and accommodations than say...a Leghorn.

After one treatment of rubbing alcohol and Vaseline, they are improving but still have a long long way to go. I’m wondering if anyone has experience using ivermectin for this? I have some and am wondering if anyone has used before or knows if it is effective or is it too potent for chickens?

After one treatment of rubbing alcohol and Vaseline, they are improving but still have a long long way to go. I’m wondering if anyone has experience using ivermectin for this? I have some and am wondering if anyone has used before or knows if it is effective or is it too potent for chickens?
Ivermectin can kill the mites, but you will still need to soak and apply your vaseline to help eliminate the crusts.

Back
Top Bottom