Bumblefoot Removal in Peking Duck

marymas245

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
Hi All,
I have a Peking duck that has a bad case of bumblefoot. It was not noticed until it was advanced.
I soaked her foot and the black scab came off. I tried to go in under it a little, using a razor and tweezer and remove a little tissue. It was white, like dead tissue. However, it quickly got to bleeding and the duck was uncomfortable at that point so I stopped. The thing is I wasn't seeing or feeling anything hard. I see posts about this procedure and they say remove the scab, and kernels etc., but I see nothing under the scab. So much of her foot is affected, I am wondering if it is possible that the infection is not under the scab? Has anyone seen that? There is a hole where I took off the scab. Tonight I put drawing salve on it. I also have her on 50mg of k-flex but I am not sure if that is enough. She has been on it for a day now. I started that because the foot is very hot and I am afraid of it going systemic until I can try to treat the infection. I tried to get her into a vet and none will see a duck :(

Anyway, how can I find the kernel without hurting my girl. It does not seem to be close to the surface :(

Hi All,
I have a Peking duck that has a bad case of bumblefoot. It was not noticed until it was advanced.
I soaked her foot and the black scab came off. I tried to go in under it a little, using a razor and tweezer and remove a little tissue. It was white, like dead tissue. However, it quickly got to bleeding and the duck was uncomfortable at that point so I stopped. The thing is I wasn't seeing or feeling anything hard. I see posts about this procedure and they say remove the scab, and kernels etc., but I see nothing under the scab. So much of her foot is affected, I am wondering if it is possible that the infection is not under the scab? Has anyone seen that? There is a hole where I took off the scab. Tonight I put drawing salve on it. I also have her on 50mg of k-flex but I am not sure if that is enough. She has been on it for a day now. I started that because the foot is very hot and I am afraid of it going systemic until I can try to treat the infection. I tried to get her into a vet and none will see a duck :(

Anyway, how can I find the kernel without hurting my girl. It does not seem to be close to the surface :(
Here's a pretty thorough article written about bumblefoot removal for ducks. I hope this helps! In the meantime though, soaking it often and using PRID or a drawing salve should help draw it to the surface. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-what-is-it.74647/

Here's a pretty thorough article written about bumblefoot removal for ducks. I hope this helps! In the meantime though, soaking it often and using PRID or a drawing salve should help draw it to the surface. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-what-is-it.74647/
Thanks. I am really wondering if this even bumblefoot. At this point, it is the size of a bouncy ball and is very hard. The entire thing is hard. Is that normal for bumblefoot? I read that the kernel is hard in bf, but this entire thing is hard.

Thanks. I am really wondering if this even bumblefoot. At this point, it is the size of a bouncy ball and is very hard. The entire thing is hard. Is that normal for bumblefoot? I read that the kernel is hard in bf, but this entire thing is hard.
Maybe try using PRID. It's a very good drawing salve that can pull out infection and cores. Some I've heard of just do daily soaking, then cover with PRID and a bandage and redo that every day or every other day if the duck is kept indoors where it's foot is kept out of the muck.

Back
Top Bottom