Bumpy odd shaped egg from a young hen

Juju2773

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
Yesterday and today I got an egg that was bumpy and odd shaped from two of my hens. All of my hens are fairly young, just started laying the last month or so. All of their eggs have been normal, small, but that’s normal to start. But two of them laid these weird bumpy eggs with ridges. They all seem perfectly normal and healthy. They get fed a good quality organic layer feed with oyster shells on the side as they choose. I do feed them scratch a few times a day as a treat. The only change I’ve made is I started using a cheaper scratch that has more corn in it. Is this a normal thing? I do not think they are sick or bronchitis. They act perfectly healthy and happy and they are very young only about 28 weeks old.

Attachments

• C640C0A3-7919-4B2F-95A9-89B777E0C899.jpeg
    C640C0A3-7919-4B2F-95A9-89B777E0C899.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 9
They get fed a good quality organic layer feed with oyster shells on the side as they choose.
What is the protein percentage in this feed?
Is it in pellet, crumble, or cracked grain form?
Any other foods/treats given?
Are the shells thin or....?

It's been body checked, sometimes an egg it a wee bit too big for a chicken so it can't get past the pelvic bones at first, not unusual for new layers.
Looks more like a corrugated shell.
Body checking is not caused pelvic spacing, but usually a rowdy bird whose shell breaks as it is forming.

Just to interject, don’t give your chickens scratch 3x a day.... that is WAY too much corn, which is just a filler with very little nutritional value. They may be eating less layer feed bc they are full from the corn, and not getting proper calcium. I would stop the corn for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I wouldn’t even give them the scratch everyday; I would reserve it for every few days, and limit the amount.
Sometimes chickens lay eggs like that when they have / had infectious bronchitis but that’s not always the case.

What is the protein percentage in this feed?
Is it in pellet, crumble, or cracked grain form?
Any other foods/treats given?
Are the shells thin or....?

Looks more like a corrugated shell.
Body checking is not caused pelvic spacing, but usually a rowdy bird whose shell breaks as it is forming.
This is what information I found for the feed I give them. I’m thinking I probably do give them the scratch too much and maybe they aren’t eating enough layer feed as another person stated. I’ll try only giving them scratch once a day for a week and see if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• 5153F10A-77F7-49B4-9A40-B861F754CB7E.jpeg
    5153F10A-77F7-49B4-9A40-B861F754CB7E.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 4
This is what information I found for the feed I give them. I’m thinking I probably do give them the scratch too much and maybe they aren’t eating enough layer feed as another person stated. I’ll try only giving them scratch once a day for a week and see if that makes a difference.
I would give them no scratch for a at least a week.
Just the layer crumble and plain water.

Back
Top Bottom