Butternut squash recipes?

I was gifted a cabbage as well but I cant stand cabbage. Just shredded it up and have it sitting to ferment into kraut. Never done this before so its either gonna be real nasty or the best kraut ever. In 4 weeks or so we will know for sure

I'm late to the discussion, but recently had to answer the same question for my daughter, who only took an interest in cooking after she married and moved out.

I bake winter squash whole at whatever temperature my meat is roasting at until soft (timing varies wildly depending on the size and density of the squash but is similar to sweetpotatoes), scoop out the flesh (reserving seeds and skins for the chickens), and serve it with butter to add at the table -- cinnamon or nutmeg optional.

I find peeling and cubing winter squash difficult because they're so HARD, but once peeled and cubed they can be gently sauteed in butter/oil/etc. and seasoned to taste. They're quite good with curry powder when prepared that way.

I'm late to the discussion, but recently had to answer the same question for my daughter, who only took an interest in cooking after she married and moved out.

I bake winter squash whole at whatever temperature my meat is roasting at until soft (timing varies wildly depending on the size and density of the squash but is similar to sweetpotatoes), scoop out the flesh (reserving seeds and skins for the chickens), and serve it with butter to add at the table -- cinnamon or nutmeg optional.

I find peeling and cubing winter squash difficult because they're so HARD, but once peeled and cubed they can be gently sauteed in butter/oil/etc. and seasoned to taste. They're quite good with curry powder when prepared that way.
I tried it as a lasagna noodle. Pain the the butt to slice and not bad but not good. Its rare my hubby doesnt complain about my cooking but he did this time

I found a way to cut b-nut squash so that I could cube it. I'm not very strong, so this does not take a lot of power.

Get your big sharp knife. Lay the b-nut on its side. Put the knife where you want to cut. Press down with the knife while you roll the squash back and forth (away from you, then toward you), a little less than a quarter turn, or what you can manage.

Each time you roll, you are cutting around more of the squash and taking more of the "strength" of it away.

I cut 1" slices off until I get to the cavity, then stand the cavity part on its "butt" end and slice it in half.

After I learned this, I never had to cut a whole squash in half again.

Back
Top Bottom