Button quail (coturnix chinensis) odd behaviours

LuAG

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2022
One of my button quail does this weird ducking action while making a strange repetitive rising squeak and turning its head to the side (to look up while ducking) is this a submissive mating bow of some kind? Is this any indication of them being female? Why do they do it occasionally when my hand looms close? Also why do they puff their feathers when I whistle?

One of my button quail does this weird ducking action while making a strange repetitive rising squeak and turning its head to the side (to look up while ducking) is this a submissive mating bow of some kind? Is this any indication of them being female? Why do they do it occasionally when my hand looms close? Also why do they puff their feathers when I whistle?
I do believe most birds are scared by whistling sounds as they are unfamiliar as to which bird is making the noise, the puffing of feathers is a common response to being scared. Their ducking could be a response to your hand, readying themselves to jump away from you. Over the years, I have seen a few of my coturnix do this "ducking/readying" when I put my hand into their cage.

I am unsure about the bowing thing, but it's important to remember males often do the ritualistic dancing and not the females (I am unsure with Chinese quail though). Also important to note that some quail are just loud and a bit bizarre, it could just be who they are.

Whenever we have a loud one from a hatch or one who's a bit weird we always refer to them as Geoffrey the giant weirdo. I'm not sure why lol.

Back
Top Bottom