Button quail hen longevity

ButtonBag

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
London, UK
I have two pairs of buttons, and both hens have been laying an egg almost every day without fail for a year now. We have their lights on a timer matching local sunrise and sunset, so their "days" get shorter towards winter. However, last year they only stopped laying for about 2 weeks during the shortest days.

One of them seems keen on sitting on her eggs—I don't have the space for more quail sadly, so have been taking the eggs before she can sit for too long. They have a quail layer feed, oyster shell and a UV light for vitamin D, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to help them live as long as possible? Should I swap her fertile eggs for old ones and let her sit on them for about 16 days so she has a break from laying? Or would that be worse for her health as I know broody hens tend to lose weight?

Unfortunately, button quail don't have very long lives. I don't know if letting her go broody will help her live longer or not. Broody hens tend to lose weight because it's harder to get food. If you put some food right next to her, she might not lose much weight.

I wish you luck, though. With all of the pampering you're giving her, she should have another year or so.

Back
Top Bottom