Button Quail lookin afta.

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Button Quails.

So in the past had some button Quails, for those who don't know what that is, Google if you want. However many of you probably know what they are, they are small birds these button Quail. Had a bit of spare time so might aswell share incase someone wants to or does not want to know about my experiences with these birdies.

Houses: They seem to be hardy birds, they use to live in the bottom of a large aviary. What things can they live in as a nesting area? Our ones use to nest in ice cream containers turned up side down with doors cut into them, large hollow logs and wooden houses, something similar to a budgie nest box but with a larger enterance, with grass/straw as bedding.

Breeding: So despite some saying they don't breed by themselves very much, or that you to incubate eggs and all that, I never did that. They just breed on there own, one morning you'll just find a heap of babies walking around.
Now, if there's two males, these are normally grey in colour the females are brown, it's at this time or sometime after babies are born they may start to fight each other and pick on each other, so you'll need to seperate them, it's almost as if there can only be one male one female once babies are born and even then sometimes the male can attack the babies once they start to get bigger, the mother seems ok though.

Sometimes when you seperate the aggressive bird he may start to crow loudly so you can either get him another female if you want or a friend, we ended up making/getting seperate areas for different pairs and groups.

Back to the babies, they are very cute but also very small, you must be careful they do not fall into the water you have for them and tragically drown. There were other birds in the aviary we had who used deeper water to bathe in so we elevated that up on a pile of bricks that the baby quail could not reach and gave them a small dish cut very thinly from the bottom of an ice cream container and also bottom of pot plants, that part that holds water. They eat whatever there parents eat, scraps, bugs, bird seed ect.. as they grow you can observe to see how they interact with each other, they tend to breed anything from two to six chicks in a bunch but may be more I'm some cases.

They can actually fly, at the time I had these guys I lived in a suburban setting and a few, about two or three ended up flying up and over the fences to who knows where, strangely they sometimes fly vertically up wards, straight up.

So overall there a nice looking bird as an addition to a larger bird enclosure, interesting to watch, we had them with budgies and another type of large green parrot. They all got along with each other as in the different species.

(Button Quail image from Google)
images

Last edited:
The easiest way to sex them isn't by the body color but by the butt feathers! The boys will get a rust/red butt (and sometimes an entire underbelly!) While females do not.

Buttons are monogamous which is probably why you saw fighting once the babies were born, and also why you encountered a seperated male crying out for his old mate. And the reason most people say quail can't hatch on thier own is because the most common/popular quail (Coturnix) don't, it's extremely rare that they do, however buttons (different species) it's pretty common! Its hilarious to see the little guys standing on top of a few babies <3 they make pretty good parents.

One of the major downfalls for these guys is the fact that they can fly and flush up VERY high. Just like you I also lost some back when I kept them. Another part is enclosure size which, they need a REALLY big space for just a pair (not just a guinea pig cage) but aviaries are great places for them (and where mine will go next time I get some) the females can have a short lifespan due to sometimes not eating enough calcium to balance out how much she outputs in eggs! The eggs are very pretty and unique to Coturnix quail eggs, and the babies are the size of a dime and nearly impossible to hold without feeling "oh god am I gonna squish it?" Or "how does this thing have bones in there!!" Cause no matter how small someone can imagine them being, they're smaller in person haha! They're certainly not for everyone but they're an interesting species nonetheless! I can't wait to have space to have them again <3

The easiest way to sex them isn't by the body color but by the butt feathers! The boys will get a rust/red butt (and sometimes an entire underbelly!) While females do not.

Buttons are monogamous which is probably why you saw fighting once the babies were born, and also why you encountered a seperated male crying out for his old mate. And the reason most people say quail can't hatch on thier own is because the most common/popular quail (Coturnix) don't, it's extremely rare that they do, however buttons (different species) it's pretty common! Its hilarious to see the little guys standing on top of a few babies <3 they make pretty good parents.

One of the major downfalls for these guys is the fact that they can fly and flush up VERY high. Just like you I also lost some back when I kept them. Another part is enclosure size which, they need a REALLY big space for just a pair (not just a guinea pig cage) but aviaries are great places for them (and where mine will go next time I get some) the females can have a short lifespan due to sometimes not eating enough calcium to balance out how much she outputs in eggs! The eggs are very pretty and unique to Coturnix quail eggs, and the babies are the size of a dime and nearly impossible to hold without feeling "oh god am I gonna squish it?" Or "how does this thing have bones in there!!" Cause no matter how small someone can imagine them being, they're smaller in person haha! They're certainly not for everyone but they're an interesting species nonetheless! I can't wait to have space to have them again <3
I laughed so hard at “how does this thing have bones in there!!”

I laughed so hard at “how does this thing have bones in there!!”
It's actually quite insane!! Wild how there's an entire living creature in that. The legs get me the most, like inside that leg there's bones, muscle, tissue, nerves, blood, different kinds of veins and just... It's thinner than a toothpick! H o w! The babies are insane, I believe the button quail egg is the second smallest egg, hummingbird being the smallest? At least in birds?

Legs and arms for buttons lol

Attachments

• 20210420_095837.jpg
    20210420_095837.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210420_095858.jpg
    20210420_095858.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 8
It's actually quite insane!! Wild how there's an entire living creature in that. The legs get me the most, like inside that leg there's bones, muscle, tissue, nerves, blood, different kinds of veins and just... It's thinner than a toothpick! H o w! The babies are insane, I believe the button quail egg is the second smallest egg, hummingbird being the smallest? At least in birds?
I was surprised at the size. My buttons were the size of crickets- and so darn cute

Back
Top Bottom