Button Quail with Bad Leg

cuckleberry

Songster
Jan 7, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Hi all;

I understand that there is very little I can do in this situation but wanted to reach out and see if there's any advice to help make my quail's life as comfortable as possible.

During the holidays, I came home from work and noticed my white quail hobbling around. They were living with another quail, whom they grew up with. I know that quail can boink if they're frightened, and when they do, they sometimes get caught in the plants in their enclosure. Unfortunately I don't know whether something spooked her, or if the male was trying to be too persistent with her and ended up hurting her.

Originally, when I noticed this, I was afraid she wouldn't live. Thankfully, she has been able to adapt and moves, eats, and drinks normally. She has to adjust herself to sit in her food dish to eat comfortably, but manages nonetheless. Her poops are normal. She does her best to dirthbathe by rolling around rather than kicking the dirt up onto her back.

Her and her flockmate have been separated to prevent the situation from getting worse.

With the previous holiday season, I had no avian vets open near me, and from what I have read, the cost & risk to put her under for surgery is too high. I may seem uncaring for this but financially I have been struggling to pay rent, and this was unexpected. I looked into forums on here to see if other people have had this issue, and have read that as long as the bird can still live and adjust, they are okay.

From what I noticed, she uses her bad leg more as a tool. She walks on the "knee" of it and pivots herself by sticking it out when she wants to turn around. Her foot hasn't lost any colour or swelled up. I doubt at this point, any "cast" or "brace" would be little to no help. Is there any kind of exercise I can try?

I genuinely cannot tell whether the leg is just dislocated or it's broken. Her toes are still mobile and scrunch up when she moves about.

Thank you,

Attachments

• PXL_20230104_214009239.jpg
    PXL_20230104_214009239.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230104_214009239.jpg
    PXL_20230104_214009239.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230104_214043039.jpg
    PXL_20230104_214043039.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 22

Back