BYM chicks weekly progression

glikk

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Currently have 3 mixes that I've been taking progress photos of weekly. Thought it might be interesting to keep updating this as they get older.

This is the Rooster and these 3 are the 'mums' not sure which chick belongs to which hen though. They're also being raised by a different hen

Collage_2023-09-02_20_16_05.jpg

All 3 were born around the 4th of August so they're about 4 weeks old. First pic is a couple days old. 2nd photo is 1 week. Then bottom 3 are week 2, week 3 and week 4.

Collage_2023-09-02_20_19_27.jpg
Collage_2023-09-02_20_23_03.jpg
Collage_2023-09-02_20_20_58.jpg

Currently leaning a little more towards all being pullets (70/30 kinda thing) but definitely going to wait to confirm for a couple more weeks.

Update week 5-7:

1 is definitely a cockerel and 1 has a mohawk from Dad so will be very interesting to see what happens as that one gets older.

Foster mum left the chicks alone to go back to lay at about 4 weeks old.

They're doing really well and are slowly integrating themselves into the flock.
Collage_2023-09-25_20_42_44.jpg
Collage_2023-09-25_20_53_37.jpg
Collage_2023-09-25_20_47_44.jpg

Interesting to see! Love the fluffy headed one, must have got it from the rooster?

I have one week old chicks right now, so looking at your one who turned out to be a cockerel, it's making me lean more towards my black one (profile pic) being a cockerel... they were born with a large comb, and it seems to have grown a bit already

Interesting to see! Love the fluffy headed one, must have got it from the rooster?

I have one week old chicks right now, so looking at your one who turned out to be a cockerel, it's making me lean more towards my black one (profile pic) being a cockerel... they were born with a large comb, and it seems to have grown a bit already

Yup, definitely got that from Ronnie (dad/rooster) not that we have any clue what his genetic make up is at all haha

Could be, I mean the points on that ones comb have always been a bit bigger. I don't have the feather photos on here but he has noticeably blue/green iridescent feathers which also made me go cockerel.

Might add a photo in here actually. The other black one has some as well but no where near as vibrant as this one.

DSCF0792.jpg

Had a little look at yours. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Might be able to look back and tell as it grows up but for now I'd just hope its a pullet haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom