CAG questions

Lady507

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
I have my own CAG thats a female that I have had for many years. Her cage is outside but she comes indoors very often. My sister's husband also has a CAG but they are moving to a smaller place and they won't be able to take him. They decided to give him to me so I placed his cage next to mines. My question is would the birds be ok being next to each other? Would they become mates (they believe theirs is a male) from separate cages? If they seem to be getting along will it be a good idea to place them together in his cage as it is much bigger than hers? If they ever take him away (they expect to be living at their new place for a long time so who knows if they will even ever take him) will they get depressed without each other even being in separate cages? He is also said to be aggressive with everyone except my sister's husband dad who raised him. If they were put together or even in separate cages will my grey stop being as sweet? Thank you in advance if you answer any of these questions. I am just trying to figure out the best way forward and I thought some of your great insight in CAG behavior will be very helpful.

That makes sense. I personally wouldn't combine them, at least not for a long time. After they have been next to each other for a while you could try letting them out on the tops of the cages or a play stand and see how they interact. I don't have an African gray, mines an Amazon. We are 99% sure ours is a female. She likes my husband, and dislikes me. Which makes me believe the one from your sister may be a female as parrots tend to bond with an opposite sex partner even if they are human. But that's just a guess.

I definitely wouldn't combine them if there's a chance the one will not stay. You probably don't want them bonding than breaking them up.

Thanks for your response, I greatly appreciate it. My African grey is the same, she loves my dad the most which is why we think she's a female and that apparently if they have a silver outline on the feathers at the bottom of the tail it means they are a female. Ill definitely keep them separate and see what happens. My biggest worry is that they will somehow bond through the cage and that if he/her ever leaves that she will get depressed as our African grey hates any type of change. But I guess only time will tell what happens. Thank you for your response, it helped me get some peace of mind that I'm doing the right thing going forward.

All parrots are flock animals. They do enjoy the company of other birds. I keep some budgies to keep my parrot company. I have in the past kept cockatiel, finches, and lovebirds. So if that happens perhaps you can get another bird or two that isn't as big of a commitment as another parrot.

Back
Top Bottom