Calico princess and Isa brown pullets egg laying

Tsjschickens

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
My wife and I bought our first ever chickens from tractor supply last feb/march at a day or two old. There is a lot of info on here and the web about isa browns but not to much on calico princess. This is what we have observed up to today. Both breeds are very friendly but the isa's tolerate petting and handling a little better than the princess. The calico's starting laying eggs first at 15 weeks with the isa's following with in a week or so. The isa browns seem to be having a little trouble getting there eggs going right. They were off an on with normal eggs and soft shelled eggs calico's too but the isa's are still having trouble today with soft or no shell eggs. They all have access to oyster shells. They are still young in egg laying as I understand it. Its been very hot here in north Carolina and the calicos's seem to be dealing with the heat better than the isa's. They have a fan going all the time and are in the shade. Does anyone know if the isa' need anything special for there nutrition to help them get there eggs right? Our pullets are pets first so eggs are secondary so we just want them to be well and happy!

Eggs come out without a shell because of stress or fear. They are basically expelled early before the shell can be applied which takes about 24 hours. My guess why they are seen when some hens start, is because of the sensations, and probably cramping that some may experience as stuff starts working.

I haven't noticed it being a breed thing, more an individual thing based on how the bird reacts to stuff.

In some higher production breeds birds often ovulate multiple times a day in that first season, which can result in double yolk eggs or one egg pushing the other out of the shell gland which results in 2 eggs a day. One having a shell and the other doesn't.

Make sure you keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs out. Calcium helps to keep muscles working smoothly, and keep stressors lower. Eventually they all straighten out and calm down about the egg laying business.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do they have lots of space?

This is my new go to for those hot as hades days.
Big ole chunks of ice, last all day, for sitting, wading, sipping.
I also give a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves if they are not moving or eating well.
upload_2018-7-16_11-26-50.png

Back
Top Bottom