Call ducklings-how to prep??

DuckyGurl

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
In front of my computer
Lots of questions! I have call ducklings set to hatch this weekend, and a duck is going to raise them. So, questions:
How deep/wide can their water dish be?
Chick starter? What kind to get?
What about niacin? Where to get?
When can they start swimming?
I'm sure I'll have more questions, thanks for answering! :)

Lots of questions! I have call ducklings set to hatch this weekend, and a duck is going to raise them. So, questions:
How deep/wide can their water dish be?
Chick starter? What kind to get?
What about niacin? Where to get?
When can they start swimming?
I'm sure I'll have more questions, thanks for answering! :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10
use a chick waterer first week then make the one in the link I even use one for mom just make the hole larger and the bowl is deeper so the littles can't get into it. Keeps her from making a mess while she is inside.
chick or duck starter and mom can eat it too.
niacin is a must 100-150mgs per gal of water till 10-12 weeks old. unless mom is able to forage if so you may not need to use niacin.
If you put out a small pan of water I bet mom will have them in the water as soon as she can, just make sure they can get in an out easy. I use cat litter pans and put a large rock inside and out for them to easily get in and out. If it's still cool where you are then don't give them swimming water yet. wait till a nice warm sunny day. Good luck and post pics when they hatch.

they can swim at 2-3 days old in warm water, but since moms is caring for them she may

Last edited:
If your feeding a chick starter, yes.. it's lacks enough for growing ducklings deficiency will show later, no point in pushing it to that point.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom