Can a Bantam Rooster mate with a Standard hen?

Churkenduse

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
My little Tina is a Black Polish mix, they don't know what the mix was.

She is very small for a Standard but too big for a Bantam. She lays very small eggs, 50-53 grams, too small to be standard and too big to bantam.

Anyone have any ideas. Or is she just thin and do you think her eggs will get bigger?

Thanks all!
frow.gif

A rooster is sort of like Colin Farrell...if it stands still long enough, he'll mate with it.

A mixed breed between bantam and standard will probably lay eggs that are inbetween sized also. Pullet eggs are usually smaller than a hen's eggs.

A rooster is sort of like Colin Farrell...if it stands still long enough, he'll mate with it

I think you have that backwards, if Colin Farrell stands still THEY will mate with him
ep.gif
lau.gif

Serious thanks for your thoughts, I knew their eggs got larger but I didn't know it was a Pullet/Hen thing, interesting.

I'll take the small ones though, good eats!

frow.gif

.​

They can definatly do the deed. I am working on a project with some now.
Just don't let a standard roo, especially if he is very big, mate with a bantam because he can really hurt them.

Last edited:
My little guy has been um.. 'courting' his Grand Sized Ladies intensely since fall. He's got his technique down pat these days (took awhile for him to figure out he would have to skip the neck hold), but so far I think he's still not quite hitting the target. The eggs aren't fertile.

I have faith, though, that eventually he'll get it done.. even if he needs to borrow a stepstool for the job.

BTW, he's about 1lb.. the ladies are 5-6lbs.

Meghan

Yes, they can. Please note the picture below contains the love child of a black OEG Bantam Rooster and a Black Star Hen. Isn't she darling?
big_smile.png
I believe she's started laying, but I'm not for certain. I've been getting some not small bantam but not large standard (not even medium standard) sized eggs that are a slight pink'ish color. Her toe nails are white.
smile.png
She is bigger than a bantam OEG and she's smaller than the Black Star.

BlackBeauty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom