Can a duckling be raised alone?

Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
I just had a broody chicken who was trying to hatch eggs, but she kept eating her developing duck eggs. I candles all her eggs but the were all dead except for one. I put that egg in the incubater, and it hatched yesterday. I have a flock of about 22 ducks, so if I raised it alone as a baby, it would have duck friends as a adult. The duckling peeps constantly unless I'm holding it. I can't put it back with the broody chicken because she'll kill it. Should I buy it a friend or have a live alone?

So they can be raised alone, and does happen in circumstances. It is definitely hard on them as they want someone there all the time. A stuffed animal and shatter proof mirror can help make it more manageable.

@Aunt Angus just raised one duckling. She can maybe enlighten you on the experience.

So they can be raised alone, and does happen in circumstances. It is definitely hard on them as they want someone there all the time. A stuffed animal and shatter proof mirror can help make it more manageable.

@Aunt Angus just raised one duckling. She can maybe enlighten you on the experience.
A friend had a bad hatch and only 1 duckling hatched successfully. I had time off and was brooding 2 special needs chickens at the time, so I agreed to take the lone duckling. Well, the duckling is extremely attached to me. She doesn't like when I'm out of sight. She used to scream her little duckie head off, but she's calmed down a bit lately.

It's working ONLY because I'm still off right now and can spend every waking moment with her. She gets swimming time in the morning in the bathtub or in a mixing tub in the front yard. Then she gets exercise time in the playpen while I clean her cage. Then I take her out with me in a little carrier if I have work to do in the yard. Otherwise, we hang out in the house while I do housework. She gets foraging time in the afternoons. It's a full time job.

I'm headed back to work soon, and my son is going to stay with her until I can find her a friend. She can't be alone, and she's not used to other ducks, so I don't think I can put her with my other 5 ducks. She and her future friend are going to get special housing in my front yard.

I just don't recommend it, personally. I'm worried she will have serious separation anxiety while I'm gone.

A friend had a bad hatch and only 1 duckling hatched successfully. I had time off and was brooding 2 special needs chickens at the time, so I agreed to take the lone duckling. Well, the duckling is extremely attached to me. She doesn't like when I'm out of sight. She used to scream her little duckie head off, but she's calmed down a bit lately.

It's working ONLY because I'm still off right now and can spend every waking moment with her. She gets swimming time in the morning in the bathtub or in a mixing tub in the front yard. Then she gets exercise time in the playpen while I clean her cage. Then I take her out with me in a little carrier if I have work to do in the yard. Otherwise, we hang out in the house while I do housework. She gets foraging time in the afternoons. It's a full time job.

I'm headed back to work soon, and my son is going to stay with her until I can find her a friend. She can't be alone, and she's not used to other ducks, so I don't think I can put her with my other 5 ducks. She and her future friend are going to get special housing in my front yard.

I just don't recommend it, personally. I'm worried she will have serious separation anxiety while I'm gone.
Lord. You poor thing.

I had one duckling hatch and when the peeping got to be too much I put it in a brooder with some chicks. That calmed it down and it didn't seem any worse for wear when another duckling hatched ten days later (they were put into the incubator as they were laid; and fertility was really sketchy). Those two may have been less compatible with the difference in age because the older one would run over the younger. That's all recent history because they haven't feathered out yet. If the first duckling is neurotic or something it hasn't become obvious.

The chicks must've helped. Cheddar is now 9 weeks old. If I'd realized sooner I wouldn't be putting her eith the big girls, I'd have gotten another duckling sooner.

But I LOVE this little duck. So dang much. Imnot suffering other than feeling guilty.

I was just out with the duckling an hour ago and it looks like it might have wry neck. Is there a way to treat it? The ducklings neck kinda go sideways and back. It's still walking around and eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom