Can a hen lay one egg at a time?

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
So, I am thinking of letting mama Truffles have another chick. But we think one would be best. But is this an option? I read about using fake eggs so she thinks she's doing a whole clutch but I don't know for sure if it would work.

Truffles has been a mama before. She stays in a separate pen from the rest of the flock and lives with her man Trifle and their daughter Mable (who is starting to mature more)
Trifle has proved himself as a harmless, gentle father from their last clutch, so I'm not worried about him. What I AM worried about is how Mable would react. Is it possible she would hurt it or would she help care for it or just leave it be?

(if info is needed, all three are believed to be egger bantams.)

Technically yes you can let a hen sit on 1 egg and hatch it. The first obstacle is your hen needs to be broody. You mention a daughter, so maybe you already have that covered. Second not every egg hatches, so with only one egg there is a high chance of her not hatching anything, and a 50 percent chance that what hatches is a boy. Third lone chicks are not the best in flock dynamics. The early stages they stick with mom, but then they are "weened". A lone chick is very alone in this stage as the rest of the flock is not very welcoming to half grown chicks. It happens with poor hatches or even predator attacks cause single chicks and the chicks do make it through. I have had a handful of single chicks happen and they take a long time to learn how to act in the flock compared to larger clutches, but it is rough for them during the weening stage and I try to avoid it. If you have a choice I would suggest setting at least 3 eggs.

Technically yes you can let a hen sit on 1 egg and hatch it. The first obstacle is your hen needs to be broody. You mention a daughter, so maybe you already have that covered. Second not every egg hatches, so with only one egg there is a high chance of her not hatching anything, and a 50 percent chance that what hatches is a boy. Third lone chicks are not the best in flock dynamics. The early stages they stick with mom, but then they are "weened". A lone chick is very alone in this stage as the rest of the flock is not very welcoming to half grown chicks. It happens with poor hatches or even predator attacks cause single chicks and the chicks do make it through. I have had a handful of single chicks happen and they take a long time to learn how to act in the flock compared to larger clutches, but it is rough for them during the weening stage and I try to avoid it. If you have a choice I would suggest setting at least 3 eggs.
I think we can do 3! But we don't plan to let her incubate until April or March when it's warmer. Just wanted info ahead of time! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom