Can a rooster have PTSD?

alaskamamaof2

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
We have 2 roosters and both were friendly and calm. My kids could pick them up and pet them and carry them around since they were born. Then one horrible day this February we had a stray dog come into our property and kill 5 of our hens. We just happened to see the dog attacking one of our roosters and immediately took after the dog. My husband chased the dog across our property(all 15 acres) while the dog had the rooster in his mouth. My husband got the dog to drop the rooster and then carried the rooster home. He was wounded with loss of all tail feathers and multiple large lacerations across his back. We made a chicken ICU in our shop for him and cleansed and stopped the bleeding in his lacerations. After 4 days we were able to reintroduce him to the flock. He rejoined them like he had never left. We were so happy he survived. Now I am having second thoughts. He has become extremely aggressive it happened immediately after he was attacked. He attacks anyone who dares to come within sight of him. He tries to attack us through the fence when they are in the run. If they are free grazing watch out he will come out of no where and attack. HE DOES NOT BACK DOWN. My kids have taken to carrying a large stick if they are outside. A couple of time he has caught my kids when they were not paying attention and they ran( I know not ideal) and he has chased them all the way into the house. My kids know they should never back down but they are still learning. If they are in the run and they need to be fed/watered the kids have to go in pairs to protect each other one feeds the other keeps the rooster from attacking. They either hold him back with a pole or they blast him with the hose if he goes on the attack. He is getting more aggressive everyday and we all are starting to dread going out around the chickens which makes me sad. My son loves his chickens and used to go out and sit in the coop with his chickens petting and hanging with them now he can't even think to do this due to the rooster going on the attack. Is there any hope for him to become submissive again. We have another rooster same breed and age and he is the sweetest guy ever and plenty of hens for the both of them so they get along just fine. We want our sweet rooster back. Looking for any suggestions because every day he is getting closer and closer to the stew pot.

They can become hyper protective after an attack, but whether he will calm back down or not it's hard to say. He shouldn't be attacking his keepers. For the safety of all of you I would put him in that stew pot and get a different rooster. He could seriously hurt your kids and the stress of him is not worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom