Can any of these be Rhode Island Reds?

Hope119

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
When I was looking for fertile RIR eggs, I went to a farm where the lady said she had some. While there, I found out that while hens are RIRs, they were staying with white roo almost up until I got there. So I only got 1 doz eggs from that farm and also used my eggs (mixed breeds, mostly Easter Eggs) for the 1+2 hens (2 nests). I know I've thrown away at least a half of that doz after candling - they were not fertile. But I was hoping at least a couple babies would be "almost RIRs". Looking on images online, RIR babies should be brown. We don't have any browns there. There are black, grey and white. Although on pictures I took (in dark last night) they seem brown, they did not look brown to me when I looked at them. I'll try to take pics during the day (if fox does not get them before me, we lost at least 2 already), although babies run away from me all the time.
https://picasaweb.google.com/103416...&authkey=Gv1sRgCL_N8KTFofSmNw&feat=directlink - can someone, please, look at these pics, first few pictures where there are 9 babies roosting and also 4 roosting under mama and tell if there is chance some of them can be from those "RIR+white rooster" eggs? (I did not put RIR eggs under those 2 black mamas)
Thank you!

Last edited:
My best guess is that the white ones are your RIR/white roo crosses. They don't look like EEs--no puffy cheeks. What color are their legs?

Thanks! Good to know! I then probably will advice people not to buy them from me and maybe I'll get to see what they turn out when big.

Back
Top Bottom