Can anyone help with bumblefoot??

Duckmomof6

Songster
Aug 27, 2022
Hello, my duck, Charlie, has been suffering with bumblefoot for months. I have taken her to the vet a couple of times, but lately I've noticed her toe looks a little swollen. I use Sulfadiazine cream and I have used Theracyn poultry wound spray on her feet. I wrap her feet as much as I can, but I cannot seem to get rid of the bumblefoot. She is a very wet and messy duck, so most nights, I don't allow her to have water in her pen. What can I do differently? And what does everyone think of her feet? Will she be okay?

Attachments

• 20230802_182556.jpg
    20230802_182556.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230802_182521.jpg
    20230802_182521.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230802_182503.jpg
    20230802_182503.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230802_182501.jpg
    20230802_182501.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230802_182454.jpg
    20230802_182454.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 12
I have never dealt with a duck and bumblefoot however I have had several chickens with bumblefoot. It's basically the same treatment. I wrote this article on leg and foot issuing poultry, scroll down to the middle of the page to the Bumblefoot section...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/

Good luck, I hope your bird is ok!
Thank you very much! Unfortunately, Charlie has started limping. We're trying anything and everything we can to get rid of this bumblefoot.

I have used my chicken bumblefoot treatment on a duck with success. I use a mix of 42 drops fractionated coconut oil (it stays liquid, unlike regular coconut oil, and I find it makes an excellent carrier oil; the essential oils should never be put directly on without being mixed in some sort of carrier oil first), 7 drops lavender essential oil, 7 drops oregano essential oil, and 7 drops tea tree essential oil. You can reduce the amounts of essential oils for a slightly less strong mixture, though it might take longer to work.

I rub this on the affected foot once (or twice, depending on the severity) per day, wearing gloves every time. No wrapping, soaking, or surgery required, though you can also soak with warm water and Epsom salts to speed the process along. This mixture has reversed even very severe infections in my birds. Mild cases will usually recover in a few weeks, in my own experience. In the case of my duck, she healed up quite well, even with continued access to mud and water. I hold them for thirty seconds to a minute after applying to give the oils time to absorb before I set them down again, if they are going back on damp ground.

This is just what has worked for me. Others will likely have more suggestions as well. I hope it helps!

I have used my chicken bumblefoot treatment on a duck with success. I use a mix of 42 drops fractionated coconut oil (it stays liquid, unlike regular coconut oil, and I find it makes an excellent carrier oil; the essential oils should never be put directly on without being mixed in some sort of carrier oil first), 7 drops lavender essential oil, 7 drops oregano essential oil, and 7 drops tea tree essential oil. You can reduce the amounts of essential oils for a slightly less strong mixture, though it might take longer to work.

I rub this on the affected foot once (or twice, depending on the severity) per day, wearing gloves every time. No wrapping, soaking, or surgery required, though you can also soak with warm water and Epsom salts to speed the process along. This mixture has reversed even very severe infections in my birds. Mild cases will usually recover in a few weeks, in my own experience. In the case of my duck, she healed up quite well, even with continued access to mud and water. I hold them for thirty seconds to a minute after applying to give the oils time to absorb before I set them down again, if they are going back on damp ground.

This is just what has worked for me. Others will likely have more suggestions as well. I hope it helps!
Thank you very much!! I tried an Epsom soak last night with Charlie in a small bin. When I poured the Epsom salt in, it came out too fast, and I may have put too much in. Charlie drank several sips last night. Do you happen to know if that's okay? I know it can cause diarrhea.

Thank you very much!! I tried an Epsom soak last night with Charlie in a small bin. When I poured the Epsom salt in, it came out too fast, and I may have put too much in. Charlie drank several sips last night. Do you happen to know if that's okay? I know it can cause diarrhea.

Some of my chickens have definitely gotten a few gulps in before I could stop them. It seems like the best thing in the world to some of them, for some reason. I have one that would literally start trying to gulp the very second her feet touched the water. :rolleyes: My Epsom salt soak mix had essential oils in it as well (in very dilute amounts, but they are not supposed to ingest essential oils at all, so that was a mild panic moment for me). They ended up being okay, though, thankfully.

I definitely would try to stop her from doing it again because it can make them not feel well, but she is most likely okay if she isn’t showing any signs of distress by now.

Some of my chickens have definitely gotten a few gulps in before I could stop them. It seems like the best thing in the world to some of them, for some reason. I have one that would literally start trying to gulp the very second her feet touched the water. :rolleyes: My Epsom salt soak mix had essential oils in it as well (in very dilute amounts, but they are not supposed to ingest essential oils at all, so that was a mild panic moment for me). They ended up being okay, though, thankfully.

I definitely would try to stop her from doing it again because it can make them not feel well, but she is most likely okay if she isn’t showing any signs of distress by now.
Thank you!! Charlie's feet actually look a lot better, but today I noticed her limping a lot. No swelling, and her leg doesn't feel hot.

Thank you!! Charlie's feet actually look a lot better, but today I noticed her limping a lot. No swelling, and her leg doesn't feel hot.

I've had that happen before with some of them. It almost seems to appear worse before it gets better in some cases.

My current theory is that it could be from the increase in pressure as the infection is pushed out to the surface. I don't know for sure though, so if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to add on.

I hope she feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom