Can chickens get seeds or corn stuck in their nasal opening?

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
My chicken has begun to form a habit of sneezing and wheezing after being fed. This is the third time it’s happened. My husband gave them scratch yesterday and soon after our Easter egg we hen started sneezing again. She sounds like something is blocking her breathing through her nose and she acts like she’s trying to sneeze. I can’t get her mouth open long enough to check but I saw the slit at the top of the beak and I’m wondering if they can get food stuck up there? Any thoughts? She makes a humming type groan when she breathes out. The first two times it happened I isolated her. This time I’ve let her go but it started yesterday afternoon and in the past it’s resolved by the next day. I don’t know how to help her expel whatever is stuck.

Is there a way to feed her that will prevent this happening again?

Try feeding them pellets only, with it constantly available. With feed that's small or dusty, it's common for chickens to start sneezing after. Also, if she's eating it too fast, that could cause her to sneeze. Chickens who eat their feed too fast can sometimes get the grain stuck in their throat, which may cause them to sneeze.

Try feeding them pellets only, with it constantly available. With feed that's small or dusty, it's common for chickens to start sneezing after. Also, if she's eating it too fast, that could cause her to sneeze. Chickens who eat their feed too fast can sometimes get the grain stuck in their throat, which may cause them to sneeze.
If it’s stuck too long what problems can it cause? I chased her down and tried checking but I couldn’t keep her still to see. I massaged her crop which has helped previously. Right now she isn’t ranging with the others she’s just sitting in some grass wheezing. She didn’t seem interested in water. Which wasn’t an issue before either. I’m not sure how to help or if I just let her work it out on her own?

If it’s stuck too long what problems can it cause? I chased her down and tried checking but I couldn’t keep her still to see. I massaged her crop which has helped previously. Right now she isn’t ranging with the others she’s just sitting in some grass wheezing. She didn’t seem interested in water. Which wasn’t an issue before either. I’m not sure how to help or if I just let her work it out on her own?
Typically, my birds fix their throats on their own if I don't help them, and are eventually fine. I did have one bantam who nearly choked to death. I feel the front of their throat to see if they have grain in it. With pellets, it's very easy to feel.

If she's just sitting somewhere wheezing, there might be a bigger problem. See if her throat is clear. If you can, take a bright flashlight and shine it down her throat to see if you see anything. To hold her still, wrap her up in a towel, or wedge her in between your legs. Once you have her tight and not moving, gently open her mouth by the sides. She'll still try pulling away, but if you've got a good enough grip on her, you should be able to look inside.

Back
Top Bottom