Can chickens have cat food?

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
So, I was supposed to pick up chicken feed today and totally forgot. I'm going to go first thing in the morning but until then, can chickens have cat food? If not what van give them before I get to the feed store? Very temporary.

You can give them a bit of cat food. Just don't let them have a lot.
Alright. It's very temporary. Probably just something they will eat when they first get up and that's it. I'm going to head to get feed first thing but the store doesnt open until 830 am and the girls will be up before then.

So, I was supposed to pick up chicken feed today and totally forgot. I'm going to go first thing in the morning but until then, can chickens have cat food? If not what van give them before I get to the feed store? Very temporary.
Here are some things you could also do
"Your chickens can eat cheese, plain yogurt, sunflower seeds, or cooked beans as a protein source. Chickens also enjoy eggs, but only serve them cooked so they do not start wanting to eat their own freshly laid eggs" (I just looked it up that probably doesn't help)

"Yes, chickens can eat a small amount of cat food. Cats need a lot more protein in their diets, so long-term it'll be bad for chicks. A short-term protein boost can help with molting and egg production though." (used google again)

Here are some things you could also do
"Your chickens can eat cheese, plain yogurt, sunflower seeds, or cooked beans as a protein source. Chickens also enjoy eggs, but only serve them cooked so they do not start wanting to eat their own freshly laid eggs" (I just looked it up that probably doesn't help)

"Yes, chickens can eat a small amount of cat food. Cats need a lot more protein in their diets, so long-term it'll be bad for chicks. A short-term protein boost can help with molting and egg production though." (used google again)
Oh, well I do currently have a girl going through a hard molt. But I dont plan to give them it for very long. Just wanted to make sure it wont hurt them.

Chickens are basically small dinosaurs. They will eat almost anything.
cat food is super high in protein so I wouldn’t recommend it for a long term thing but perfectly ok for an occasional treat.
I know theyll eat anything. Just wanted to be sure it wouldnt harm them.

And example of eating everything. One of mine chased a feather caught in the wind for about 20 minutes and ate it thinking it was a bug 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom