Can chickens lay eggs without calcium?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
My brother's girlfriend's mom has a couple of chickens that lay eggs and I'm pretty sure they don't get calcium. Is it possible for them to still lay eggs or is it just not that good for them if they don't get calcium?

I'm just asking because I'm gone for ten days and I realized I forgot to leave out oyster shells for my hens. I usually give them the eggshells I eat and they prefer that anyway. My brother is watching them and he doesn't eat eggs and I don't really remember where I put the oyster shells to ask him to get it for them. I'm going to see if my mom has any eggshells she can stop by to give them. I should be back by next Sunday. Hopefully the eggshells she gives them will hold them over till then.

Do they have layer feed?
They should be fine. Im pretty sure my sister doesn’t give hers calcium either although she does give them layer food. I don’t think 2 week is enough to cause any problems. But definitely do give them their oyster shells once your back. I wouldn’t stress about it :)

Do they have layer feed?
They should be fine. Im pretty sure my sister doesn’t give hers calcium either although she does give them layer food. I don’t think 2 week is enough to cause any problems. But definitely do give them their oyster shells once your back. I wouldn’t stress about it :)
No, they're eating chick crumbles right now because we have baby chicks and one rooster. Okay, thanks, I hope so!

I know people who never supplement calcium, it's in the layer pellets and if their egg shells aren't thin then they probably have enough. It's not something running out of for a few weeks or a even month matters as far as I can tell

Back
Top Bottom