Can chickens regain ability to walk?

cajebrso

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Our BO Nutmeg has been on a slow decline. Vet thinks possibly Mareks (yes she was vaccinated) but is surprised she has lasted this long. In January, she stopped being able to climb the ramp to roost so we put a box downstairs for her. In the last few weeks, she stopped walking at all. She still eats and drinks well when we bring her food. She is currently molting. So - my question: has anyone had a chicken decline to this point of not walking (for a couple weeks now) but then made a recovery? We thought it might be possible with adequate calories that maybe she could bounce back after the molt but not sure if there is any reason for hope or if we are going to continue on this trajectory til the end for her. Thanks! Here’s a recent photo.

Attachments

• 7A7CE213-74E2-46CE-8F1E-D76AB10C22F4.jpeg
    7A7CE213-74E2-46CE-8F1E-D76AB10C22F4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
How old is she, and has she laid eggs recently? Does she move her legs and feet when they are touched? Are her toes curled under? If lifted, can she try to stand at all? Mareks is not very likely if she is a bit older, and not recently been exposed to a carrier. Infection or inflammation internally could put pressure on leg nerves. An injury from a rooster or jumping could be a possibility. I would worry about her constantly lying down on the ground where she might get irritated skin and possibly maggots or parasites. Have you tried giving some human vitamin B complex, which includes all b vitamins? Those (1/2 tablet daily crushed into some food) can help with leg issues, and vitamin E 400 IU is might help if it is neurological. I would make her a chicken sling chair to get her upright with her feet touching the floor. Here are some examples including posts 5, 11-14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thanks so much for responding - here are answers to questions:
She is 3 years old. She was laying well until she started molting (even as she was having a harder time walking). Her toes are curled. She will stand with some support and she will crouch a bit without support when holding onto my fingers. We do have issues with parasites. We are finding maggots on her - don’t see a wound so we think they are on the poop that gathers (picked off maybe 5 yesterday). We are going to try to bathe her every 24 h. We give rooster booster - I will look into adding vitamins E and B12. She is eating an egg a day. I’ll also build a sling.

Also if it is an injury it would have been from long ago - this has been a very slow decline - she has been a bit bumbly on her feet for maybe 2 years and declining (weight and mobility) for over a year. She was xrayed- no tumors or obvious answers.

It doesn't sound like Marek's. All my chickens died from Marek's eventually lost appetite, and they stopped eating quickly after paralyzed. I was able to keep them alive with tube feeding, but they will eventually stop digestion. None of my older hens was paralyzed, only young pullets had paralysis. The older hens just slowly wasted away. Sometimes I could find tumor in them. Your girl may have infection or injury developing. Eggcessive gave some great suggestions. Vitamin B complex and vitamin e are great for nerve damages.

Back
Top Bottom