Can ducks and chickens go in the same coop?

starkweather

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
I have 2 ducklings and 5 chicks that are ready to go outside. This is my first time raising chicks and ducklings. We are building a coop and I was wondering if the ducks can go in with the chickens? Or do they need a special set up of their own? A friend of mine has her ducks outside with her chickens in small dog houses. They seem happy enough but I worry about the winter months.

They can all be housed together, but ducks have way wetter poop and they splash their water all over.

I would probably have them all together, but make sure the coop, as well as a covered run area was super big since then the extra mess would be easier to deal with.

Good luck!

Thanks :) I will put them together then. For the most part they will be free range during the day.. and put in the coop at night.

I also have five hens and two ducks. We have had no problems keeping them together. They are about 6 weeks old now, and we just built a 4x8 run for them. They also get to freely roam the yard while I'm outside though. I like to give the ducks extra time outside the coop/run whenever I can. I also have an extra water dish for them to play in while in the run, and will be getting them a pool for the yard soon. They love to swim!

We have 18 chickens and two ducklings all living together right now. They all get along great and the ducks even climb the ramp up into the nesting area with the chickens every night! I didnt think ducks were very good at ramps and this is a rather long and tall one!

Back
Top Bottom