Can ducks eat a citrus tree?

We've had to separate ducks, so we have 3 different pens sectioned off. 2 of the pens have young citrus trees in them. The ducks are eating the leaves. I know we can't feed them citrus fruits. Is it ok for them to eat the tree? I can cut the branches till they can't be reach, or fence them off.
I don't like how people say ducks or chickens can't have citrus. In my experience it's not true I've given my chickens and ducks a lot of citrus and they've never had anything wrong with them so they should be fine with the tree.

I don't like how people say ducks or chickens can't have citrus. In my experience it's not true I've given my chickens and ducks a lot of citrus and they've never had anything wrong with them so they should be fine with the tree.
Citrus can cause calcium deficiencies in several types of animals (as well as reptiles & birds) which is why it isn't encouraged.

Not sure about the leaves, but I wouldn't allow them to eat the fruit regularly.

I disagree. I've fed my chickens and ducks citrus before and they've never gotten sick.
You also have issues with thin shells, I've read through your threads.
You can't disagree with science and those with more knowledge than either of us. I didn't make the statement, it's a fact.

Last edited:
You also have issues with tin shells, I've read through your threads.
You cant disagree with science. I didn't make the statement, it's a fact.
But I still feed them citrus. Maybe their bodies adjusted to it? They haven't been sick and half if my threads are about a duckling that had a niacin deficiency (I've never fed her citrus before) and the chicken with the thin shells passed away in May due to some other disease. But still I respect your opinion on not feeding citrus to your flock I'll still do it (but less now just in case)

But I still feed them citrus. Maybe their bodies adjusted to it? They haven't been sick and half if my threads are about a duckling that had a niacin deficiency (I've never fed her citrus before) and the chicken with the thin shells passed away in May due to some other disease. But still I respect your opinion on not feeding citrus to your flock I'll still do it (but less now just in case)
It's not an opinion.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6307932/

https://www.bonejoint.net/blog/did-you-know-that-certain-foods-block-calcium-absorption/

There are many other sources, but feel free to find them.

You feed your animals whatever you like, but I wouldn't assume just because it doesn't happen in your situation that it isn't valid. But, like all things moderation would be key.

Back
Top Bottom